Old 09-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Mikko Ohtamaa

Default Easier access to all applications & system preferences in Unity

Hi,

I am just test driving Ubuntu 11.10 beta 1. This is my first time
using Unity heavily, so I hope to have fresh pair of eyeballs here. I
also have some background in usability, so I hope I could document my
little frustrating story trying find settings in 11.10 for the first
time.

I found it very difficult to find (for the first time) and access
(attempt n > 1) for all application and system preferences

All application path is not obvious in Dash

I think I can divide the proble to parts

* Dash icon is unclear (users will learn this)

* Click Dash icon does not instantly bring up all applications but you
still have to "enable" it by clicking the label

* Filtering etc. on "All applications" view is currently very
confusing. Either filter bar should be open by default or should not
take permanent space (it could be a tick box pop-up)

* Also for subsequest accesses you need to again click "all apps icon"
and again "installed apps" and again "turn on filtering pane" etc.
many many clicks

I would suggest to add a separate view in Dash just for all
applications + filters. No recently used, no "download more". There is
plenty of space in Dash icon bar for this.

This way 1) user would find applications easier when need to access
first time (one time use case, like settings) 2) The usage context
"which applications are on my computer" and "which are suggested
installed by Dash" and would be more clear

I filed a bug report here, but it is little unclear because I didn't
know the right concept words for new UI parts:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ayatana-design/+bug/846374

The bug report quality is not very great and it could be divided to
several feature requests after discussion.

System settings
------------------------

I tried to access them through Dash. However, I later found out about
the user menu short cut (Mac style, had to Google for it).

I desperately tried filtering options in Dash / app applications page,
but it is little confusing. Maybe just show one System preferences
there and all other preference panes would be accessible only through
main System preferences window?

Maybe old style "toolbox" icon for the settings should be visible on
the "all applications" page?

--
Mikko Ohtamaa
http://opensourcehacker.com

Old 09-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Didier Roche

[...]

Hey Mikko,

Thanks for testing the new Ubuntu beta and for all those remarks on
Unity.

The Ubuntu destkop team is mostly integrating Unity and other
components on Ubuntu, the real upstream and design work is done by
the ubuntu design team and the ubuntu dx team which aren't
subscribed to this list for most of them.

I think your useful feedback should be posted on the ayatana mailing
list (as per

http://unity.ubuntu.com/getinvolved/)
to reach directly the right people.

Your bug report is understandable and that's the important part.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Regards,

Didier