Old 07-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Jo-Erlend Schinstad

Default Better link for Ubuntu Help on the startpage.

I just read an interesting blog post about a sixty year old who used a
computer for the first time.
(http://jboriss.wordpress.com/2011/07/06/user-testing-in-the-wild-joes-first-computer-encounter/)
He tried to get started, but couldn't find a way to easily get help.
To me, it was fairly obvious that a clearly visible link to a help
page on the start page would've been very helpful to him. So I had a
look, and sure enough, we have one.

But that link points to https://help.ubuntu.com/. That means that the
user needs to first choose his version. He might not know that.
However, we do, so we should link directly to the version the user has
installed and directly to desktop, so the link should have pointed to
https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/index.html in 11.04.

That page has a small notice at the bottom: «This help applies if you
are using the default Unity desktop. Help is also available for the
Ubuntu Classic desktop session.» We know what shell the user uses. The
user might not. We should have a way to point the user in the right
direction at once.

In this particular case, the user was trying to use the web. First of
all, he needed help using the browser, but then he would need some
help understanding the web itself. I think that might have been a nice
thing to have. I had a look for that in the help site and I eventually
arrived at this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/net-browser.html. It
explains how to Switch to another browser and how to install Java,
Silverlight and Flash. But it does not explain how to browse the web.
That seems to me a fairly obvious topic to have. That would've been
frustrating to Joe from the test.

In other words; there is room for improvement.

I realize that it's a bit too late to fix this in 11.04, but if we
could make this happen for 11.10 and all future versions, I think it
would be a usability improvement. It would also be very nice if that
page was translated into more languages and was used by default for
the users current language settings. Is anyone working on that?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad

Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Jeremy Bicha

On 19 July 2011 18:23, Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schinstad@gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize that it's a bit too late to fix this in 11.04, but if we
> could make this happen for 11.10 and all future versions, I think it
> would be a usability improvement. It would also be very nice if that
> page was translated into more languages and was used by default for
> the users current language settings. Is anyone working on that?

Ubuntu has for years shipped with pre-installed localized help. With
Gnome 3 the desktop help was significantly improved but unfortunately
it was effectively hidden in Unity. The Ubuntu Documentation Team
asked for a button on the dash or in the launcher but it was too late
for Ubuntu 11.04.

See this bug which has been mostly ignored: https://pad.lv/778289

The bottom half of the Dash frontpage is not very useful. We have a
button for the default web browser despite the web browser having a
default link on the launcher. Most web users have the browser open
most of the time anyway so a button there isn't needed. I think the
Dash should ship with Help & System Settings in that prime space.
Perhaps the other two spots could be reserved for the two most
frequently used programs that are not already pinned to the launcher.

Jeremy Bicha

Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Dean Sas

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 23:23, Jo-Erlend Schinstad
<joerlend.schinstad@gmail.com> wrote:
> To me, it was fairly obvious that a clearly visible link to a help
> page on the start page would've been very helpful to him. So I had a
> look, and sure enough, we have one.
>
> But that link points to https://help.ubuntu.com/. That means that the
> user needs to first choose his version. He might not know that.
> However, we do, so we should link directly to the version the user has
> installed and directly to desktop, so the link should have pointed to
> https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/index.html in 11.04.

Bug 54627 asked for this and was marked as invalid years ago with a
varying quality of reasons.

h.u.c is looked after by the docs team.

Dean