Old 11-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Jan Claeys

Default DisplayConfigGtk

Op donderdag 15-11-2007 om 12:57 uur [tijdzone +1300], schreef Matthew
Paul Thomas:
> That said, after reading this thread I don't understand the use case
> for applying settings only for the current session anyway. I suggest
> addressing that question first, as it will help you compose the rest
> of the design.

Hm, I can see a possible use case for that when (re)configuring a system
for use with an LCD projector or similar. Most of these only work with
800x600, 1024x768 and/or 1280x1024, while a very large number of laptops
are sold with 1280x800 screens these days.

--
Jan Claeys

Old 11-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Sebastian Heinlein

Am Donnerstag, den 15.11.2007, 12:57 +1300 schrieb Matthew Paul Thomas:
> That said, after reading this thread I don't understand the use case
> for applying settings only for the current session anyway. I suggest
> addressing that question first, as it will help you compose the rest
> of the design.

Technical limitations. If we write to the configuration file the monitor
will be enabled weither it is actually connected or not. So you could
end up with an important part of your desktop missing.

Cheers

Old 11-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Scott James Remnant

On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 22:21 -0400, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:

> the coming XRandR support will require some changes to the layout of the
> main window and the monitor dialog, since we are going to support
> configurations that can be completely applied on the fly (xrandr for
> open source drivers) and file based configuration. Furthermore I would
> like to completely replace GNOME's resolution changing capplet.

Bear in mind that file based configuration is eventually going away.

If you select a configuration with xrandr, it should be stored such that
when you login, the settings are re-applied. The existing xrandr screen
resolution applet does this today through gnome-settings-daemon.

If I open that applet, I would expect to be able to set up screens how I
like, and then every single time I login ever-after, the screens will be
set up that way.

I do not expect this to change any other user's setting; their screens
should stay set up the way *they* like them.

The only additional option then becomes making my settings the default
for other users who haven't expressed a preference (ie. gdm's settings).
This should be a locked option unless I've authenticated as an admin
(cf. PolicyKit), and should change the settings of the gdm user so that
gdm's gnome-settings-daemon applies them when it starts.

(Longer-term, this preference would also be used for the initial mode
setting by the kernel.)

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott@ubuntu.com

Old 11-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Sebastian Heinlein

Am Montag, den 19.11.2007, 13:40 +0000 schrieb Scott James Remnant:
> On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 22:21 -0400, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
>
> > the coming XRandR support will require some changes to the layout of the
> > main window and the monitor dialog, since we are going to support
> > configurations that can be completely applied on the fly (xrandr for
> > open source drivers) and file based configuration. Furthermore I would
> > like to completely replace GNOME's resolution changing capplet.
> >
> Bear in mind that file based configuration is eventually going away.
>
> If you select a configuration with xrandr, it should be stored such that
> when you login, the settings are re-applied. The existing xrandr screen
> resolution applet does this today through gnome-settings-daemon.
>
> If I open that applet, I would expect to be able to set up screens how I
> like, and then every single time I login ever-after, the screens will be
> set up that way.
>
> I do not expect this to change any other user's setting; their screens
> should stay set up the way *they* like them.
>
> The only additional option then becomes making my settings the default
> for other users who haven't expressed a preference (ie. gdm's settings).
> This should be a locked option unless I've authenticated as an admin
> (cf. PolicyKit), and should change the settings of the gdm user so that
> gdm's gnome-settings-daemon applies them when it starts.
>
> (Longer-term, this preference would also be used for the initial mode
> setting by the kernel.)

That is the basic idea, but we have to see what we can get. Some
discussion is happening on the gnome-cc list.

Generally there will be always need for the configuration file or some
kind of overwriting infrastructure. Think of drivers that do not support
XRandR 1.2 or the bulletproof x. Currently it seems that Fedora will
push a capplet that can only deal with XRandR 1.2 what doesn't seem to
be sufficient. I would like to see a hook in the gnome-settings-daemon
that allows to start an alternative configuration tool if the GNOME tool
doesn't provide any backend plugins.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Old 11-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Scott James Remnant

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 15:08 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:

> Generally there will be always need for the configuration file or some
> kind of overwriting infrastructure. Think of drivers that do not support
> XRandR 1.2 or the bulletproof x.

Those are no reason to deliberately cripple the behaviour of drivers
that can and do support XRandR 1.2 and kernel model setting.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott@ubuntu.com