-   -   Proposing Transmission BitTorrent client as default (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/32306-proposing-transmission-bittorrent-client-default.html)

"Flávio Martins" 01-08-2008 07:24 PM

Proposing Transmission BitTorrent client as default

"Transmission is a
fast, easy, and free multi-platform BitTorrent client with a focus on
being lightweight yet feature-filled."

I propose we replace, in the default installation, the packages gnome-btdownload with transmission-gtk.

I think Transmission is very user friendly, and currently is the perfect choice of
BitTorrent client for the Gnome Desktop.
The Gtk+ client has a well-designed and
simple user interface.
Fedora 8 ships transmission-gtk on their LiveCD and probably on the default Gnome Desktop installation too.
For Mac OSX users Transmission is already the BitTorrent Client of choice.
Transmission[1] is an actively developed project, you can read more about it on the dedicated wikipedia article[2].

The packages are in the official repositories, so fi you're interested,
just install the packages with the command: sudo apt-get install transmission-gtk

Users of Hardy Heron will be installing version
1.0 of Transmission, released this month.
Users of Ubuntu 7.10 will be running a earlier version 0.72, most similar to what ships in Fedora 8.

So, I would like to hear back from you guys. Your opinions and concerns.

For Ubuntu developers:
Upstream uses Trac[3] for all the development tracking.
Ubuntu is currently taking Debian's source packages[4] with no changes.

Regards,
Flávio Martins

[1]
http://www.transmissionbt.com
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_(BitTorrent_client)

[3] http://trac.transmissionbt.com
[4] http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/transmission.html

"Jo-Erlend Schinstad" 01-10-2008 01:47 AM

Proposing Transmission BitTorrent client as default

Hello,

On 08/01/2008, Flávio Martins <xhaker@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Transmission is a fast, easy, and free multi-platform BitTorrent client
> with a focus on being lightweight yet feature-filled."
>
> I propose we replace, in the default installation, the packages
> gnome-btdownload with transmission-gtk.

I'm all for it.

> I think Transmission is very user friendly, and currently is the perfect
> choice of BitTorrent client for the Gnome Desktop.
> The Gtk+ client has a well-designed and simple user interface.

Yes, it's perfect for the Gnome Desktop, providing the feeling users
are looking for in a bit torrent application, while not complicating
things. I've been using uTorrent for this for a good while, because it
provides exactly that; a simple, but effective user interface. It's a
download application. I don't want one that uses half my system
resources either. uTorrent also forced me to install wine, which I'm
not really interested in. I'd much rather have a pure and clean
system. This is a perfect client for me. Well.. You could say that
since Transmission is already in the repositories, it's my own fault
for not taking the time to get a proper overview of the applications
available before taking the radical step of installing a proprietary
Windows application. But people use either software that they already
know, or software that's already available. Bit Torrent is important
and it deserves some attention. We do need something better than
gnome-btdownload and this is by far the best candidate I've seen.

Thanks.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad

Sebastien Bacher 01-10-2008 07:59 AM

On mar, 2008-01-08 at 20:24 +0000, Flávio Martins wrote:

> So, I would like to hear back from you guys. Your opinions and
> concerns.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you explain what are the
gnome-btdownload issues and what transmission-gtk does better?
Do you know if anybody is looking at the launchpad bugs for this one?

Sebastien Bacher

Andrea Veri 01-10-2008 03:14 PM

Proposing Transmission BitTorrent client as default

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort 01-10-2008 03:28 PM

Andrea Veri wrote:
> Flávio Martins ha scritto:
> | "Transmission is a fast, easy, and free multi-platform BitTorrent client
> | with a focus on being lightweight yet feature-filled."
> |
> | I propose we replace, in the default installation, the packages
> | gnome-btdownload with transmission-gtk.
>
> Did you check some popcon statistics between the use of Gnome-bt and
> transmission in both Debian [1] and Ubuntu [2]?

That's not fair, as gnome-btdownload is installed by default :)

Cheers,
Emilio

Andrea Veri 01-10-2008 03:31 PM

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort ha scritto:

> That's not fair, as gnome-btdownload is installed by default :)

Yes, but anyway if a certain user wants to use transmission because
thinks it's definitely better than gnome-bt, is free and allowed to
install it after all...and popcon should reach high numbers for that
package as well (if it's *really* the best software around)...600+ users
is not enough to promote a package to be installed as the main Torrent
application for Ubuntu.

Andrea

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort 01-10-2008 03:53 PM

Andrea Veri wrote:
> Emilio Pozuelo Monfort ha scritto:
>>
>> That's not fair, as gnome-btdownload is installed by default :)
>>

> Yes, but anyway if a certain user wants to use transmission because
> thinks it's definitely better than gnome-bt, is free and allowed to
> install it after all...and popcon should reach high numbers for that
> package as well (if it's *really* the best software around)...600+ users
> is not enough to promote a package to be installed as the main Torrent
> application for Ubuntu.

But still the comparison isn't fair IMHO. If there's a BitTorrent client
installed by default, most people won't install another one. I haven't tried
transmission or gnome-btdownload myself, so I can't (and won't) say whether we
should switch or stay as we are, but I just wanted to point out that wasn't a
good argument ;)

And regarding how many users one application have, I think we shouldn't (only)
look at those numbers, but look at which one is better and more integrated (and
better maintained and...) and then make a decision on whether it's worth the
change or not.

I'd really like to know how many installations gnome-btdownload would have if it
wasn't installed by default...

Take care,
Emilio

"Flávio Martins" 01-10-2008 04:05 PM

Proposing Transmission BitTorrent client as default