Old 01-10-2008, 05:55 PM
"Jo-Erlend Schinstad"

Default Proposing Transmission BitTorrent client as default

On 10/01/2008, Flávio Martins <xhaker@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2008 6:18 PM, Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schinstad@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I asked in #Ubuntu on freenode now, if anyone could recommend a bit
> > torrent client for Ubuntu. People actually recommended all the other
> > clients, except gnome-btdownload and Transmission. I thought that was
> > interesting. I then asked in #Ubuntu-OffTopic how people felt about
> > replacing gnone-btdownload, and the response was a unanimous yes.
>
> - The interesting thing is that most tech savy people seem to prefer
> something that has a lot of knobs and switches. Some users probably would
> attribute lack of features/options to lack of quality. However the spirit of
> the Gnome desktop is to have just enough options and sensible defaults. I
> really can't recommend a client that respects it better than Transmission.
>
> Flávio Martins

I agree. It's simple enough that everyone should be able to use it
without any problems, and it's advanced enough so that most users
won't have to replace it. Many will replace it anyway, but I'm
absolutely certain more users would use the default application than
today. I think that's important.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad

Old 01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
"thibaut.bethune@voila.fr"

As far as i'm concerned i'm very fond of transmission since it is a sngle windows piece of software (instead of having lost of windows)

besides it is very fast and has a clean and simple UI as mentionned by Flávio Martins

> Message du 08/01/08 à 21h24
> De : "Flávio Martins" <xhaker@gmail.com>
> A : ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
> Copie à :
> Objet : Proposing Transmission BitTorrent client as default
>
> "Transmission is a fast, easy, and free multi-platform BitTorrent client
> with a focus on being lightweight yet feature-filled."
>
> I propose we replace, in the default installation, the packages
> gnome-btdownload with transmission-gtk.
>
> I think Transmission is very user friendly, and currently is the perfect
> choice of BitTorrent client for the Gnome Desktop.
> The Gtk+ client has a well-designed and simple user interface.
> Fedora 8 ships transmission-gtk on their LiveCD and probably on the default
> Gnome Desktop installation too.
> For Mac OSX users Transmission is already the BitTorrent Client of choice.
> Transmission[1] is an actively developed project, you can read more about it
> on the dedicated wikipedia article[2].
>
> The packages are in the official repositories, so fi you're interested,
> just install the packages with the command: sudo apt-get install
> transmission-gtk
>
> Users of Hardy Heron will be installing version 1.0 of Transmission,
> released this month.
> Users of Ubuntu 7.10 will be running a earlier version 0.72, most similar to
> what ships in Fedora 8.
>
> So, I would like to hear back from you guys. Your opinions and concerns.
>

> For Ubuntu developers:
> Upstream uses Trac[3] for all the development tracking.
> Ubuntu is currently taking Debian's source packages[4] with no changes.
>
> Regards,
> Flávio Martins
>

> [1] http://www.transmissionbt.com
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_(BitTorrent_client)
> [3] http://trac.transmissionbt.com
> [4] http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/transmission.html
> >
> [ (pas de nom de fichier) (0.1 Ko) ]

___
Mon PC est garanti sans DRM, sans virus et sans spyware grâce à GNU/Linux (Ubuntu) : ainsi je garde le contrôle de mon système.
98% des mails échangés sont en fait du spam : y participez-vous en faisant suivre les courriels idiots que vous recevez?

Old 01-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Trevor Schauls

I agree about the transmission. There are only a few things I would
recommend.

1. Download all files to ~/Downloads. Firefox too!
2.when I press the x buttion it should ask if I want to close it, or
minimize it to the tray.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:57 PM
"Flávio Martins"

Hello,

Just go to http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ , register and submit two tickets
The problem is, the Download folder is usually not existent by default, like for example in Ubuntu. So even if you patched transmission to download to a Download folder it should be created by default by the user or upon install like the Documents folder is created already.

The second point already works in a different way. When you click the x button it minimizes and when you try to quit from the menus it asks if you are sure.

Flávio Martins

On Jan 11, 2008 12:38 AM, Trevor Schauls <

Old 01-11-2008, 02:57 AM
Charles Kerr

As one of the Transmission developers, I wanted to speak up and
make myself available for questions and feedback. I like gnome-bt
but, as you'd expect, I'd love for Ubuntu to use Transmission.

To answer a couple of earlier questions:

(1) Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Could you explain what are the gnome-btdownload issues and
> what transmission-gtk does better?

Like gnome-bt, Transmission tries to be simple and "just work",
but Transmission also has MSE/PE encryption,
supports port forwarding for UPnP/NAT-PMP routers,
has the ability to choose which files in a torrent to not download,
has the ability to prioritize which files to download first,
and provides a gui for creating new torrents.

(2) Andrea Veri wrote:
> and popcorn should reach high numbers for that package as well
> (if it's *really* the best software around)...600+ users
> is not enough to promote a package to be installed as the
> main Torrent application for Ubuntu.

Transmission 1.00 has been downloaded 234,014 times since it
was released five days ago.

cheers,
Charles

Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 AM
"Jo-Erlend Schinstad"

Hello,

On 11/01/2008, Charles Kerr <charles@rebelbase.com> wrote:
> As one of the Transmission developers, I wanted to speak up and
> make myself available for questions and feedback. I like gnome-bt
> but, as you'd expect, I'd love for Ubuntu to use Transmission.

Good to have you with us.

> Like gnome-bt, Transmission tries to be simple and "just work",
> but Transmission also has MSE/PE encryption,
> supports port forwarding for UPnP/NAT-PMP routers,
> has the ability to choose which files in a torrent to not download,
> has the ability to prioritize which files to download first,
> and provides a gui for creating new torrents.
> Transmission 1.00 has been downloaded 234,014 times since it
> was released five days ago.

That's quite a few downloads, and it's probably not counting those
coming from distro repositories? Congratulations on your success
You answered several of my questions, however, I have one more for
you. Does it support DHT for trackerless torrents? That seems to be
important to people.

Jo-Erlend Schinstad

Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Ivan Sagalaev

Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
> However, that's not the way bit torrent is used anymore.
> People use bit torrent much more like they would use eMule, Limewire,
> or any other p2p application. Gnome-btdownload does not reflect this
> change in behaviour. Ubuntu should make available software to fit
> peoples uses, not the other way around.

Hello! I'm watching this thread and just can't stay aside anymore :-).

I haven't done any real research but my observations show that people
using common p2p apps that you've listed are the minority. Geeks, to be
precise. Most non-geek people that I know are just scared of this
ridiculously complicated way to get things done because downloading
anything with those apps concentrates on a process not on a goal. You
have plenty of variants of progress bars, plenty of ways of knowing your
download speed, knowing IP-addresses of peers that you are connected
with. There are some ratios, much of new terminology (what's a
"tracker"?) and of course those apps are expected to occupy all the
screen because you're expected to *work* in this app.

For most people, including myself (though I am a geek, just not the one
of p2p type) current bt-download is just fine: it downloads a file upon
clicking a link in Firefox. What else should a download window do?

P.S. I would even be in favor of skipping a question where to put the
downloaded file. I like how Firefox doesn't ask it every time just to
have the same answer.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Sebastien Bacher

On mar, 2008-01-08 at 20:24 +0000, Flávio Martins wrote:

> So, I would like to hear back from you guys. Your opinions and
> concerns.

Hi,

The bittorrent client choice has been discussed at the desktop team
meeting on IRC yesterday and nobody had an objection against the change.
The replies on the thread have some good argument, especially concerning
users who want to do something else that double clicking on a torrent to
simple start the corresponding download which was maybe not an obvious
usecase to the basic users.

Sebastien Bacher