Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 AM
Jani Monoses

Default evolution as panel shortcut

Hi,

I am wondering what the reason is for having evolution as a panel
shortcut. While the web and help shortcuts are very likely to be used by
most users and especially novices, the same thing is not true IMHO when
it comes to mail.

The majority of users have only webmail nowadays, while POP3/IMAP and
calendaring are mostly used in corporate environments or by power users,
and in both these cases the standard desktop setting are configured and
personalized anyway.

Many more people use OO (writer in particular) than a mail app.

Was evo in the panel an Ubuntu decision or is it inherited from the
GNOME default settings?

thanks
Jani

Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Matthew Paul Thomas

Old 01-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Jani Monoses

>> Many more people use OO (writer in particular) than a mail app.
>
> What are your data sources for these statements?

No hard data, I extrapolated form my experience so far of seeing people
use computers - not just Linux. The ratio of webmail vs local is more
than 5:1, and home users - the non-corporate and non-techie ones I
mentioned in the original post - only use webmail.

When talking to people new to Linux they almost invariably ask if it
does have office apps - mostly Word - they seldom inquire about Outlook
equivalents. Hence my statement quoted at the top of this message.

I don't mind being showed evidence to the contrary, but I understand the
current status was not based on hard data either and wondering whether
it should change.

Jani