-   -   updating standards-version, lintian warning (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/265897-updating-standards-version-lintian-warning.html)

Andreas Moog 03-18-2009 11:26 PM

updating standards-version, lintian warning

Hi!

What is the desktop-teams policy on bumping the standards-version in
debian/control? Should we check everytime if the file complies to the
current (3.8.0) version and update the information?

IOW: When is it appropriate to update this field?

Regards, Andreas Moog

--
Andreas Moog
Berliner Str. 29

PGP-Encrypted mail preferred, please use Key-ID 0xF67089C4
Fingerprint: 7C60 6E85 F8A1 E26C 96B4 CC8D D3A1 6090 F670 89C4

Bryce Harrington 03-18-2009 11:31 PM

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 01:26:02AM +0100, Andreas Moog wrote:
> Hi!
>
> What is the desktop-teams policy on bumping the standards-version in
> debian/control? Should we check everytime if the file complies to the
> current (3.8.0) version and update the information?
>
> IOW: When is it appropriate to update this field?

I don't know what ubuntu policy is on this, but if it is a
debian-maintained package, I'd leave it alone unless it needed change
for a specific reason, since it'd just be one more thing hindering being
able to sync the package.

Bryce

Andreas Moog 03-18-2009 11:35 PM

Bryce Harrington wrote:

>> IOW: When is it appropriate to update this field?
>
> I don't know what ubuntu policy is on this, but if it is a
> debian-maintained package, I'd leave it alone unless it needed change
> for a specific reason, since it'd just be one more thing hindering being
> able to sync the package.

Ok, i understand that. But there are many packages with ubuntu-specific
changes, like most of the GNOME-Desktop applications and I think they
don't get synced anyway. So, more precisely, my question goes to those
packages which are ubuntu-maintained.

Regards, Andreas Moog

Martin Pitt 03-19-2009 09:33 AM

updating standards-version, lintian warning

Andreas Moog [2009-03-19 1:26 +0100]:
> What is the desktop-teams policy on bumping the standards-version in
> debian/control? Should we check everytime if the file complies to the
> current (3.8.0) version and update the information?
>
> IOW: When is it appropriate to update this field?

As Bryce points out, we shouldn't update it just for the sake of it,
but personally I'm always in favor of keeping the packaging up to date
to current standards. So if you verified that a package matches the
current standard version, please feel free to bump it. If it needs
packaging adjustments, please do them and send them to Debian as an
user-tagged bug report with patch.

Thanks,

Martin

--