-   -   "Edit a text file as root" when a user is in "admin" group (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/259835-edit-text-file-root-when-user-admin-group.html)

Lukas Vacek 03-08-2009 01:28 PM

"Edit a text file as root" when a user is in "admin" group

Hi,

I think it would be handy to have an option to "open file with text editor as root", especially, when recovering a system from a live CD, but not only in that case. It would be useful just any time a user is told to edit a system file "by hand", which still can happen sometimes. Now the user has to use a terminal, know sudo and more.

I guess there are basically two ways to do it, add support to gedit for gaining privileged permissions only for read/save operations, but all that gobject code is a bit too scary for me :-) or much easier but potentially not that secure way:

It could be enough to install a file like this:

$ cat /usr/share/application-registry/gksudogedit.applications

gksudogedit
command=gksudo gedit
name=Text editor as root
can_open_multiple_files=false
expects_uris=true
uses_gnomevfs=true
requires_terminal=false
mime_types=text/*,text/html,text/plain

(with permissions root:admin 750) and run update-mime-database and so on.

regards,
Lukáš Vacek