Old 03-04-2009, 01:49 PM
James Westby

Default When inserting an Ubuntu CD on Ubuntu...

...what should happen?

Currently mpt says that this opens two things, nautilus, and a
special dialog that offers to open the package manager. Obviously
this is not great.

Nautilus has an "x-content" bar that can deal with things like this.
Plug in a memory card full of photos, or open the trash, and you will
see it as a yellow bar under the location bar, with a button to
launch an app to handle it. (Similar to some of firefox's
notifications).

It would be possible to make this happen for Ubuntu CDs. This would
mean when you inserted it nautilus would open, and show you the contents
of the CD, and have the bar offering to start whatever would handle
the CD.

For this to happen the shared-mime-info spec should be extended to
detect and report a "deb CD" or similar. Nautilus can then add this
to its list of special cases. The app that would open adds a line to
its desktop file (or a new desktop file with No-Display as appropriate).

There are however a couple of open questions.

* Is showing the contents of the CD the right thing, should nautilus
just learn not to open for these CDs and we keep the current dialog?
* Should this be a "deb CD", a "package CD", an "Ubuntu CD", or even
flavour specific? Having a "package CD" would mean that this would
trigger on Ubuntu if you inserted an OpenSUSE cd. Having a "deb CD"
would mean it would trigger if you insert a Debian CD. Flavour
specific seems a bit much though, the application that launched
could deal with differing flavours.

This certainly seems like something that could be solved for Karmic
without too much work as it seems to be mainly shuffling existing pieces
around.

Thanks,

James

Old 03-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Jordan Mantha

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:49 AM, James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> wrote:
> ...what should happen?
>
> Currently mpt says that this opens two things, nautilus, and a
> special dialog that offers to open the package manager. Obviously
> this is not great.
>
> Nautilus has an "x-content" bar that can deal with things like this.
> Plug in a memory card full of photos, or open the trash, and you will
> see it as a yellow bar under the location bar, with a button to
> launch an app to handle it. (Similar to some of firefox's
> notifications).
>
> It would be possible to make this happen for Ubuntu CDs. This would
> mean when you inserted it nautilus would open, and show you the contents
> of the CD, and have the bar offering to start whatever would handle
> the CD.
>
> For this to happen the shared-mime-info spec should be extended to
> detect and report a "deb CD" or similar. Nautilus can then add this
> to its list of special cases. The app that would open adds a line to
> its desktop file (or a new desktop file with No-Display as appropriate).
>
> There are however a couple of open questions.
>
> ** Is showing the contents of the CD the right thing, should nautilus
> * *just learn not to open for these CDs and we keep the current dialog?

This is the way I'd like it, but I have sort of a hybrid idea that I
think might fit use cases a bit more even. I noticed the other day
that if I put in a 7.10 CD on my 8.10 machine it pops open the same
dialog as if I popped in a 8.10 CD or 9.04 CD. That is, it asks me if
I want to start the package manager or run an upgrade. Can we insert
some logic here where if it's an Ubuntu CD it pops up that dialog
*only* if it's >= the current version. For an older CD we could just
pop up nautilus. Also the dialog could have a "Open in File Manager"
button if that case needs to be retained for people who don't want to
use the Places menu. Generally popping up two things is a bit
distracting and for people not wishing to browse the CD you'd have to
hit something in the nautilus bar and then hit something in the dialog
as well to get you to your final destination. So here's how I guess
I'd see it:

1) check for Ubuntu CD (we must do this already to pop up the existing dialog)
2) check if CD version is >= currently running version
3) if yes in 2) show popup with "Cancel", "Open the file manager",
"Start the package manager", and "Run upgrade"
4) if no in 2) open up nautilus directly

Also, I've noticed that for the Ubuntu Education CD where we have a
special dialog that opens, Nautilus is still launched. This makes the
addon installer experience a bit ugly, IMO.

-Jordan

Old 03-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Matthew Paul Thomas

Old 03-04-2009, 04:45 PM
James Westby

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 09:13 -0800, Jordan Mantha wrote:
> 1) check for Ubuntu CD (we must do this already to pop up the existing dialog)
> 2) check if CD version is >= currently running version

Not really feasible at that point, partly because LTS doesn't know
what LTS+1 is going to be called.

The package manager that is launched can deal with this situation, but I
don't think mime-types allow us to do this sensibly before that is
launched.

Thanks,

James

Old 03-04-2009, 04:45 PM
James Westby

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 17:25 +0000, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> Unfortunately I can't really make a suggestion here without knowing what
> the automatically started software would do if it worked.

It believe it tries to execute according to the "autorun.inf" file,
which is what is launched when you put the CD in while running Windows
This obviously does not go well.

> The Nautilus window for the CD already does use the bar, with the text
> "The media contains software.", and the mind-boggling button "Open
> Autorun Prompt". This button produces the same alert box as appeared
> when I inserted the CD in the first place.

This is just the handling for "x-content/software" which is detected
by the presence of the above-mentioned "autorun.inf", the suggested
addition of a content type would allow us to override this and
provide a better experience.

Thanks,

James