Old 02-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Ted Gould

Default Meeting item: FUSA, passwords vs. session saving

Hello,

Chris provided a patch for using PolicyKit and ConsoleKit in the FUSA
applet that makes it so that if multiple people are logged in, you can
get a password dialog, and shutdown the system. The way that this works
is that it asks ConsoleKit for the shutdown and restart actions and if
they need a password asks PolicyKit to handle it.

One of the things that this changes is that we're shutting down using
ConsoleKit instead of asking GDM to do the shutdown for us. This means
that we're not logging out of the session, and doing the equivalent to
"sudo shutdown -h now" on the command line. So, if the session manager
supports saving sessions it won't, as we're not even asking it to.

This obviously isn't great. But, this is fixed in the new GDM as it
will use DBus and so we can get the PK messages from the request to GDM,
and we can again start asking GDM to do the shutdown/restart for us.
But, that's a solution for Karmic.

I feel like today we're given the choice between two bugs:

* Don't allow restart/shutdown to work with multiple users
* Don't save sessions on restart/shutdown

I guess I'm writing this to see if anyone has any ideas. Anyone?
Perhaps we should discuss these two during the desktop meeting on
Tuesday? I'm kinda thinking about going with the password dialog, but I
think this shouldn't be an individual decision.

--Ted

Old 02-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Rick Spencer

On 02/27/2009 10:15 AM, Ted Gould wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Chris provided a patch for using PolicyKit and ConsoleKit in the FUSA
> applet that makes it so that if multiple people are logged in, you can
> get a password dialog, and shutdown the system. The way that this works
> is that it asks ConsoleKit for the shutdown and restart actions and if
> they need a password asks PolicyKit to handle it.
>
> One of the things that this changes is that we're shutting down using
> ConsoleKit instead of asking GDM to do the shutdown for us. This means
> that we're not logging out of the session, and doing the equivalent to
> "sudo shutdown -h now" on the command line. So, if the session manager
> supports saving sessions it won't, as we're not even asking it to.
>
> This obviously isn't great. But, this is fixed in the new GDM as it
> will use DBus and so we can get the PK messages from the request to GDM,
> and we can again start asking GDM to do the shutdown/restart for us.
> But, that's a solution for Karmic.
>
> I feel like today we're given the choice between two bugs:
>
> * Don't allow restart/shutdown to work with multiple users
> * Don't save sessions on restart/shutdown
>
> I guess I'm writing this to see if anyone has any ideas. Anyone?
> Perhaps we should discuss these two during the desktop meeting on
> Tuesday? I'm kinda thinking about going with the password dialog, but I
> think this shouldn't be an individual decision.
>
> --Ted

Thanks Ted. I'll add this to the agenda.

Cheers, Rick