Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 AM
"Matthew East"

Default gnome-power-manager human icon set

Hi,

I'd like to draw some attention to this bug, which has been open now
for over 2 and a half years, and is still a problem in the latest
release.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-power/+bug/32921

Essentially, the colours used in the gnome-power-manager icons for the
Human theme are too pessimistic and make the user think that they are
low on battery even when the battery is around half full. It's
bothered me ever since the gpm icons were introduced back in Dapper,
because the only way to get a genuine reading of the battery level is
to hover over the icon, and it's annoying to have to do that all the
time.

There are plenty of comments on the bug reports of users agreeing with
this, and I think it is a usability problem. Is anyone able to take a
look at fixing this? I'm copying the art team in case they have the
expertise to improve these icons.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org

Old 12-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Ted Gould

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 11:38 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> I'd like to draw some attention to this bug, which has been open now
> for over 2 and a half years, and is still a problem in the latest
> release.
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-power/+bug/32921

+1

We could also patch GPM so that it would use more icons if that would
help. I believe that only uses icons on the "20s" for percentage
currently.

--Ted

Old 12-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Sebastian Heinlein

Am Montag, den 15.12.2008, 10:01 -0600 schrieb Ted Gould:
> On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 11:38 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> > I'd like to draw some attention to this bug, which has been open now
> > for over 2 and a half years, and is still a problem in the latest
> > release.
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-power/+bug/32921
>
> +1
>
> We could also patch GPM so that it would use more icons if that would
> help. I believe that only uses icons on the "20s" for percentage
> currently.

You should better create a patch and propose it upstream.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Old 12-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Ted Gould

On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 00:03 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> Am Montag, den 15.12.2008, 10:01 -0600 schrieb Ted Gould:
> > On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 11:38 +0000, Matthew East wrote:
> > > I'd like to draw some attention to this bug, which has been open now
> > > for over 2 and a half years, and is still a problem in the latest
> > > release.
> > >
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-power/+bug/32921
> >
> > +1
> >
> > We could also patch GPM so that it would use more icons if that would
> > help. I believe that only uses icons on the "20s" for percentage
> > currently.
>
> You should better create a patch and propose it upstream.

I will, if the art team determines it to be useful. But they haven't
done that.

--Ted

Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Kenneth Wimer

On Thursday 18 December 2008 23:02:13 Ted Gould wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 00:03 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:

> > > +1
> > >
> > > We could also patch GPM so that it would use more icons if that would
> > > help. I believe that only uses icons on the "20s" for percentage
> > > currently.
> >
> > You should better create a patch and propose it upstream.
>
> I will, if the art team determines it to be useful. But they haven't
> done that.

As the "art team" I'll look into this issue. Basically, we need to create the
correct semantic visual metaphors to describe the current battery level. As
such, it is more a usability issue than an artistic one (albeit the "fix" is
apparent in the new artwork which is correctly displayed by the new code).

--
Ken