-   -   Hover highlight effect inconsistency with GNOME applets. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/210053-hover-highlight-effect-inconsistency-gnome-applets.html)

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort 12-11-2008 01:38 PM

Tomasz Dominikowski wrote:
> Any thoughts, suggestions, explanations?

Sounds quite good. I like when we aim for more consistency :)
Perhaps this should be proposed upstream to be included in the HIG though.

Cheers,
Emilio

Otto Kekäläinen 12-11-2008 02:46 PM

to, 2008-12-11 kello 15:22 +0100, Tomasz Dominikowski kirjoitti:

> Any thoughts, suggestions, explanations?

I haven't noticed this before, but you are right: the highlight
behaviour is inconsistent. At the moment I'd suggest we try to highlight
everything that is clickable in the panels.

"Jo-Erlend Schinstad" 12-11-2008 06:31 PM

2008/12/11 Otto Kekäläinen <otto@sange.fi>

to, 2008-12-11 kello 15:22 +0100, Tomasz Dominikowski kirjoitti:

> Any thoughts, suggestions, explanations?

I haven't noticed this before, but you are right: the highlight

behaviour is inconsistent. At the moment I'd suggest we try to highlight

everything that is clickable in the panels.

I have noticed this, but I haven't given it a second thought. I think I may have
found a commonality; the applets that has an immediate effect when clicked
lights up on hover, while those that display a menu, slider, etc, does not.

This is not true for all applets, however. The System Monitor applet, for
instance, does not work this way, though a single click will open the System
Monitor.

If it isn't designed that way, I think maybe it should; it makes sense to "warn"

about clicks that has an immediate action. That way, the menuline, volum
control, power manager and FUSA should not light up, since they'll only display
sliders or menus. Launchers, window switchers, show desktop, etc should.

Following this philosophy, I think the clock applet shouldn't light up, since it
doesn't really perform any operations, only displays the calendar. The system
monitor applet, however, should light up.

My two cents;

Jo-Erlend Schinstad

Vincent Untz 12-11-2008 06:50 PM

Le jeudi 11 décembre 2008, à 20:31 +0100, Jo-Erlend Schinstad a écrit :
> Following this philosophy, I think the clock applet shouldn't light up,
> since it doesn't really perform any operations, only displays the
> calendar.

Except that people won't know that something happens when you click on
the clock. And you can very well have an applet with just a label which
does nothing when you click on it, so you'd want to differentiate the
clock applet from this.

It's kind of a known issue upstream, but nobody ever sat down to figure
out what policy we want. Would be great to have a volunteer propose
something on the usability mailing list upstream, and then file bugs
against the relevant applets :-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.