-   -   OOo 3 (was Desktop team weekly report (2008-12-02) ) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/205420-ooo-3-desktop-team-weekly-report-2008-12-02-a.html)

"(``-_-´´) -- Fernando" 12-03-2008 08:59 PM

On Wednesday 03 December 2008 14:43:36 Martin Pitt wrote:
> === Chris Cheney (calc) ===
>
> * Short 1 day week (4 days off)
> * Preparing openoffice.org 1:3.0.0-6ubuntu1 for intrepid/jaunty
> * OOo bug triage

On LP answer #52527[1] the users are questioning why they can't install OOo 3.
From what I can read on the PPA:
>https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive
>OpenOffice.org 3.0.0 - INTREPID/JAUNTY ONLY
>
>The packages were buggy and crashed when openoffice.org-gnome was installed, they will be reuploaded when the bug has been resolved.

I couldnt find any bug for this on LP. Plus, I remember reading on previous Desktop minutes about this:

>Desktop team weekly report -- 2008-11-18
>=== Chris Cheney (calc) ===
>
> * Bug triage
> * Preparing openoffice.org 1:3.0.0-4ubuntu1 for Jaunty

So whats going on, and why there aint a OOo3 package?
Even Fedora 10 beat us to it. [no flame intended]

[1] https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+question/52527
--
BUGabundo :o)
(``-_-´´) http://LinuxNoDEI.BUGabundo.net

"Flávio Martins" 12-04-2008 10:03 AM

OOo 3 (was Desktop team weekly report (2008-12-02) )

Hi Fernando,

Yes openoffice was removed from the ppa repository, and the packager promises
it will be uploaded again once they sort the problems found.

I do not understand however why you downplay Fedora.
Openoffice packaging is not an odd one out, Fedora
beats us (Ubuntu) in other packages as well.
IMHO they have a very solid distribution too.

When you say "even Fedora has OOo3" you are implying,
that their community is less capable than ours. Not nice.

Flávio

"(``-_-´´) -- Fernando" 12-04-2008 10:21 AM

OOo 3 (was Desktop team weekly report (2008-12-02) )

Olá Flávio e a todos.

On Thursday 04 December 2008 11:03:20 Flávio Martins wrote:
> I do not understand however why you downplay Fedora.
> Openoffice packaging is not an odd one out, Fedora
> beats us (Ubuntu) in other packages as well.
> IMHO they have a very solid distribution too.
>
> When you say "even Fedora has OOo3" you are implying,
> that their community is less capable than ours. Not nice.

I said it wasn't supposed to be a flame or criticism.
Since they waited a bit longer they were able to ship F10 with OOo3, while Ibex only has OOo2.4.1, and now even the PPA version has been removed.
So what I meant is exactly the opposite: if they were able to avoid/fix the problem, maybe we can benefit from that.

I really need to learn a way to express my self better.