Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu Desktop (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/)
-   -   Icons in the fast-user-switching menu: mock (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/193823-icons-fast-user-switching-menu-mock.html)

"Manu Cornet" 11-15-2008 08:10 AM

Icons in the fast-user-switching menu: mock
 
Hi all,

The new Shutdown/Suspend/etc. actions in the top-right
fast-user-switching applet look great! However, I was wondering if
adding icons next to the menu items (as we usually do in GNOME) would
be a good idea? Or do you think it would add too much clutter?

Here is a mock:

http://www.manucornet.net/pub/ubuntu/intrepid_fast_user_switching_menu_icons.png

(of course, better icon suggestions welcome). Tell me what you think :-)

Cheers,
Manu

--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop

"(``-_-´´) -- Fernando" 11-15-2008 10:03 AM

Icons in the fast-user-switching menu: mock
 
Olá Manu e a todos.

On Saturday 15 November 2008 09:10:23 Manu Cornet wrote:
> Here is a mock:
>
> http://www.manucornet.net/pub/ubuntu/intrepid_fast_user_switching_menu_icons.png
>
> (of course, better icon suggestions welcome). Tell me what you think :-)

UAU
I really like it!
Good work.
Hope we can have it in Jaunty soon, and upstream too.

--
BUGabundo :o)
(``-_-´´) http://LinuxNoDEI.BUGabundo.net
Linux user #443786 GPG key 1024D/A1784EBB
My new micro-blog @ http://BUGabundo.net
ps. My emails tend to sound authority and aggressive. I'm sorry in advance. I'll try to be more assertive as time goes by...
--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop

Baptiste Mille-Mathias 11-15-2008 10:34 AM

Icons in the fast-user-switching menu: mock
 
Le samedi 15 novembre 2008 à 18:10 +0900, Manu Cornet a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> The new Shutdown/Suspend/etc. actions in the top-right
> fast-user-switching applet look great! However, I was wondering if
> adding icons next to the menu items (as we usually do in GNOME) would
> be a good idea? Or do you think it would add too much clutter?
>
> Here is a mock:
>
> http://www.manucornet.net/pub/ubuntu/intrepid_fast_user_switching_menu_icons.png
>
> (of course, better icon suggestions welcome). Tell me what you think :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Manu

Hello Manu,

I'm happy to see you back and fine :)

I seems your FUSA applet misses the Instant Messaging status (available,
away, ...) which is part of my FUSA applet on intredpid, so I'm
attaching the screen shot of mine.

So you can see there is an icon already for each status, but on the
right side.
So I have 2 questions:
- I wonder if the IM status icons should be moved on the left side
- if we put icons for session actions, I'm afraid there are too much
icons (at least, we can try to mock that up)

See you :)
--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop

"(``-_-´´) -- Fernando" 11-15-2008 11:02 AM

Icons in the fast-user-switching menu: mock
 
Olá Baptiste e a todos.

On Saturday 15 November 2008 11:34:17 Baptiste Mille-Mathias wrote:
> I seems your FUSA applet misses the Instant Messaging status (available,
> away, ...) which is part of my FUSA applet on intredpid, so I'm
> attaching the screen shot of mine.
>

You now gave me another idea...
Why not use also the user avatar as an icon attached to the nick??

--
BUGabundo :o)
(``-_-´´) http://LinuxNoDEI.BUGabundo.net
Linux user #443786 GPG key 1024D/A1784EBB
My new micro-blog @ http://BUGabundo.net
ps. My emails tend to sound authority and aggressive. I'm sorry in advance. I'll try to be more assertive as time goes by...
--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop

"Manu Cornet" 11-15-2008 11:12 AM

Icons in the fast-user-switching menu: mock
 
Hi there,

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

> I'm happy to see you back and fine :)

:-)

I'm sorry to have been away from the community for a while, but I do
plan to continue contributing in the future!

> I seems your FUSA applet misses the Instant Messaging status (available,
> away, ...) which is part of my FUSA applet on intredpid, so I'm
> attaching the screen shot of mine.

Oh I see, I just took this screenshot from a Live CD without
configuring Pidgin or anything. Is that a screenshot of the current
version of the code? Or is that something local to your configuration?
The default Ubuntu top-right applet in Intrepid has a red "on/off"
icon on the right, why doesn't your screenshot have it?

> So you can see there is an icon already for each status, but on the
> right side.
> So I have 2 questions:
> - I wonder if the IM status icons should be moved on the left side

I would be in favor for that, yes, for consistency with other
apps/webapps. I don't remember ever seeing status icons on the right
in left-to-right languages, but maybe I haven't seen enough apps :-)

> - if we put icons for session actions, I'm afraid there are too much
> icons (at least, we can try to mock that up)

Sure, I can try to mock that up, but I'd like to know a bit more about
these statuses and the above questions.

Thanks again!
Manu

> See you :)
>

--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop

"Manu Cornet" 11-15-2008 11:15 AM

Icons in the fast-user-switching menu: mock
 
Hey Fernando,

> You now gave me another idea...
> Why not use also the user avatar as an icon attached to the nick??

Hmm, I'm not sure I'd be happy seeing my own picture on the top-right
of my session at all times (or did I misunderstand your suggestion?).

These kinds of icons are here, I think, to convey some kind of
information. Putting icons next to menu items helps, in my opinion,
identifying them faster. A status icon also provides information.
Having my face next to my name doesn't really give me anything, I know
what I look like :-)

Manu

> --
> BUGabundo :o)
> (``-_-´´) http://LinuxNoDEI.BUGabundo.net
> Linux user #443786 GPG key 1024D/A1784EBB
> My new micro-blog @ http://BUGabundo.net
> ps. My emails tend to sound authority and aggressive. I'm sorry in advance. I'll try to be more assertive as time goes by...
>
> --
> ubuntu-desktop mailing list
> ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop
>
>

--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop

"(``-_-´´) -- Fernando" 11-15-2008 11:19 AM

Icons in the fast-user-switching menu: mock
 
Olá Manu e a todos.

On Saturday 15 November 2008 12:15:13 Manu Cornet wrote:
> I know what I look like

At least that sentence made me laugh OUT load...

I think you are seeing it as for just one user.
But if the PC is accessed by several users, the avatar on the dropdown list is a nice thing IMO. the same way we do with face Browser on GDM (is that even working? mine seems not to be)

--
BUGabundo :o)
(``-_-´´) http://LinuxNoDEI.BUGabundo.net
Linux user #443786 GPG key 1024D/A1784EBB
My new micro-blog @ http://BUGabundo.net
ps. My emails tend to sound authority and aggressive. I'm sorry in advance. I'll try to be more assertive as time goes by...
--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop

"Manu Cornet" 11-15-2008 11:27 AM

Icons in the fast-user-switching menu: mock
 
2008/11/15 (``-_-´´) -- Fernando <ubuntu@bugabundo.net>:
> Olá Manu e a todos.
>
> On Saturday 15 November 2008 12:15:13 Manu Cornet wrote:
>> I know what I look like
>
> At least that sentence made me laugh OUT load...
>
> I think you are seeing it as for just one user.
> But if the PC is accessed by several users, the avatar on the dropdown list is a nice thing IMO. the same way we do with face Browser on GDM (is that even working? mine seems not to be)

Ok sorry, I misunderstood your suggestion, yeah, seems like a great
idea to me :-)

>
> --
> BUGabundo :o)
> (``-_-´´) http://LinuxNoDEI.BUGabundo.net
> Linux user #443786 GPG key 1024D/A1784EBB
> My new micro-blog @ http://BUGabundo.net
> ps. My emails tend to sound authority and aggressive. I'm sorry in advance. I'll try to be more assertive as time goes by...
>
> --
> ubuntu-desktop mailing list
> ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop
>
>

--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.