FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-10-2008, 09:22 PM
James Westby
 
Default Unmounting removable devices

Hi,

Currently I find unmounting removable devices in GNOME is less than
optimal for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I don't think I should have to open nautilus or go to the
desktop to do this, though it's not the end of the world. Secondly,
there is no notification when you just yank out a removable device, and
no real indication that you should unmount before doing so, so it's not
obvious to new users.

I use the drive mount applet to overcome the first issue, but it
doesn't solve the second.

There is an open bug report about the second,

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/208730

which has no comment in the linked upstream bug. From a brief look
gio has signals that could easily implement it, but I'm not sure
that nautilus is the correct place to implement it.

I have two questions. Firstly, the technical one of what needs to
happen. Is nautilus the correct place for this? If not, what should be?

The second is the more philosophical one, should we be doing this?
If so, what should it look like? Panel applet? Notification icon?
Something else?

Thanks,

James


--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop
 
Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 AM
"Matthew East"
 
Default Unmounting removable devices

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:22 PM, James Westby
<jw+debian@jameswestby.net> wrote:
> Currently I find unmounting removable devices in GNOME is less than
> optimal for a couple of reasons.
>
> Firstly, I don't think I should have to open nautilus or go to the
> desktop to do this, though it's not the end of the world. Secondly,
> there is no notification when you just yank out a removable device, and
> no real indication that you should unmount before doing so, so it's not
> obvious to new users.

[...]

> I have two questions. Firstly, the technical one of what needs to
> happen. Is nautilus the correct place for this? If not, what should be?
>
> The second is the more philosophical one, should we be doing this?

I think it's a good idea. Whether they use Windows or Ubuntu, new
users (at least those I know) hardly ever get to know that they should
unmount removable devices before unplugging them.

> If so, what should it look like? Panel applet? Notification icon?
> Something else?

There are already notification popups which appear when a removable
device is unmounted properly, so I guess this could be extended to the
situation where a removable device is removed without unmounting.
Equally, a message could popup when a device is connected which
explains that it should be unmounted before unplugging it.

But I guess the only way to provide a simple way to unmount the device
would be to ship the applet you refer to in our default panel, and
hide it when nothing is plugged in.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop
 
Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Ivan Sagalaev
 
Default Unmounting removable devices

Matthew East wrote:
> I think it's a good idea. Whether they use Windows or Ubuntu, new
> users (at least those I know) hardly ever get to know that they should
> unmount removable devices before unplugging them.

BTW, can we get rid of this concept at all? As far as I understand this
situation exists only because of cached write that causes progress bars
and other visual indications to end before the actual process ends. I
believe that switching off write cache for removable drives will greatly
reduce chances for the user to mess things up by unplugging a drive. Or
am I wrong?

--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop
 
Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 AM
"Odysseus Flappington"
 
Default Unmounting removable devices

On 11/11/2008, Ivan Sagalaev <maniac@softwaremaniacs.org> wrote:
Matthew East wrote:
> I think it's a good idea. Whether they use Windows or Ubuntu, new
> users (at least those I know) hardly ever get to know that they should
> unmount removable devices before unplugging them.



BTW, can we get rid of this concept at all? As far as I understand this
situation exists only because of cached write that causes progress bars
and other visual indications to end before the actual process ends. I

believe that switching off write cache for removable drives will greatly
reduce chances for the user to mess things up by unplugging a drive. Or
am I wrong?


--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop

I agree.



You want to be new user-friendly? Then they shouldn't have to unmount
at all. Let them yank it out whenever they want like a good old
diskette.

Put an option somewhere so that advanced users can take control of mounting and unmounting.

Problem solved.

Alex

--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:44 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org