FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Desktop

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 AM
"Jason Taylor"
 
Default opendocument thumbnails

Would it be possible to get thumbnails for opendocuments to be produced by nautilus, currently tracker produces them if you have thumbnail creation enabled and tracker is running but nautilus could be made to do so with a very small amount of work. (thunar, dolphin etc can already do this )


https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/25827 Open since 2005

As I said there is already a binary (/usr/bin/tracker-thumbnailer) that can produce the thumbnails, all that is needed is some keys in gconf and maybe tweaking of tracker-thumbnailer to output the file to the location that nautilus asks for, or a patch to nautilus to not require the output file... (the gconf key has a output location that if not used triggers a thumbnail fail response from nautilus)


Note also that all that the thumbnailer does is extract the existing thumbnail image from the open document zip archive....

Another related bug - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tracker/+bug/135324

Forum - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=76566Brainstorm - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/4367/


Thanks

Jason Taylor

--
"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." - Calven

--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop
 
Old 10-29-2008, 04:35 PM
"A. Walton"
 
Default opendocument thumbnails

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Jason Taylor <killerkiwi2005@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it be possible to get thumbnails for opendocuments to be produced by
> nautilus, currently tracker produces them if you have thumbnail creation
> enabled and tracker is running but nautilus could be made to do so with a
> very small amount of work. (thunar, dolphin etc can already do this )
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nautilus/+bug/25827 Open since
> 2005
>
> As I said there is already a binary (/usr/bin/tracker-thumbnailer) that can
> produce the thumbnails, all that is needed is some keys in gconf and maybe
> tweaking of tracker-thumbnailer to output the file to the location that
> nautilus asks for, or a patch to nautilus to not require the output file...
> (the gconf key has a output location that if not used triggers a thumbnail
> fail response from nautilus)
>
> Note also that all that the thumbnailer does is extract the existing
> thumbnail image from the open document zip archive....
>
> Another related bug -
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tracker/+bug/135324
> Forum - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=76566
> Brainstorm - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/4367/
>
> Thanks
>
> Jason Taylor

Maybe it's time to make a package for these thumbnailers that keep
cropping up instead of whacking the thumbnailer moles as not-Nautilus'
bug. XUbuntu already does this for thunar-thumbnailers. A
nautilus-thumbnailers package doesn't seem like a far-fetched idea to
me. The strange dependencies this package might have concerns me
though. Any thoughts?

-A. Walton

>
> --
> "A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a
> battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." - Calven
>
> --
> ubuntu-desktop mailing list
> ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop
>
>

--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org