Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 AM
Dereck

Default removal of diveintopython seed

Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 AM
"Didier Roche"

2008/10/22 Dereck <dereck@gmail.com>

wrt: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+bug/241920

I am wondering why an e-book of Dive Into Python is installed by default on all Ubuntu Desktop installations?

I personally don't quite see the use to most users, even those who wishing to learn python. I myself downloaded a copy of this e-book from a google search because I didn't know it was already on my system long ago.

The compressed package takes about half a meg and installed uses a little over 4 megs. It's not a great savings, but I think there are other things that could be of greater value to our users.

Good catch !
Even if this free book (LGPL IIRC) is a very good one, it's strange that this one has been seeded as a dependency of ubuntu-desktop (maybe because python is installed by default ?).

For your information, I am in touch with the French translator to update it (it is becoming old and some fundamental notions like the object base class are not taken into account) and publish it in a paper version. We will try to push our changes back in the original (English one) version.

Didier

Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 AM
"Didier Roche"

Even if this free book (LGPL IIRC) is a very good one, it's strange that this one has been seeded as a dependency of ubuntu-desktop (maybe because python is installed by default ?).

To give more information, it didn't depends actually, it is just recommended. I remembered to have read somewhere that recommends on seeded packages are seeded as well.

Didier

Old 10-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Scott Ritchie

Dereck wrote:
> wrt: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+bug/241920
>
> I am wondering why an e-book of Dive Into Python is installed by default
> on all Ubuntu Desktop installations?
>
> I personally don't quite see the use to most users, even those who
> wishing to learn python. I myself downloaded a copy of this e-book from
> a google search because I didn't know it was already on my system long ago.
>
> The compressed package takes about half a meg and installed uses a
> little over 4 megs. It's not a great savings, but I think there are
> other things that could be of greater value to our users.

As one developer at UDS put it, "because it makes Mark happy"

I see you've CCed him for the same reason

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie