Old 10-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Martin Pitt

Default Force license display of non-free drivers?

Hi all,

https://launchpad.net/bugs/271288 asks for Jockey to display the full
license text of a non-free driver before enabling it. So far I did not
do this. The UI already offers the display of the complete license
text, so people who actually want to read it can do so easily. Other
people who don't bother won't read the license text in a forced
confirmation dialog either.

What do other people think about this? Is there a particular legal
requirement for us to force the display of it?

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 10-15-2008, 06:47 AM
"Corey Burger"

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 7:09 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/271288 asks for Jockey to display the full
> license text of a non-free driver before enabling it. So far I did not
> do this. The UI already offers the display of the complete license
> text, so people who actually want to read it can do so easily. Other
> people who don't bother won't read the license text in a forced
> confirmation dialog either.
>
> What do other people think about this? Is there a particular legal
> requirement for us to force the display of it?

I don't know about legal requirements, but showing people a bunch of
legalese they are not going to read anyway is a waste of time. Not to
mention a potential stick for the blogs to beat us with.

As for the legal issues, I really suspect that the people who need to
be worried are the big orgs, who are not going to showing this to
their users anyway, as their machines will be controlled by IT.

Corey