-   -   Desktop Team Meeting, 2008-09-25 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/166205-desktop-team-meeting-2008-09-25-a.html)

Scott James Remnant 09-25-2008 03:41 PM

Desktop Team Meeting, 2008-09-25

For minutes of previous meetings, please see DesktopTeam/Meeting.

== Present ==

* Scott James Remnant (Keybuk) - chair
* Jonathan Riddell (Riddell)
* Kenneth Wimer (kwwii)
* Martin Pitt (pitti)
* Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt)
* Michael Vogt (mvo)
* Mirco Müller (MacSlow)
* Sebastien Bacher (seb128)
* Ted Gould (tedg)

* Pedro Villavicencio Garrido (pedro_)

== Agenda ==

* Outstanding actions from last meeting
* FOSScamp
* [[http://people.ubuntu.com/~dholbach/sponsoring/|Sponsoring Overview update]]
* Targeted and Milestoned bugs
* Release bug list:
* Keybuk: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/libtool/+bug/258491|Bug #258491: link_all_deplibs=no patch no longer working well]]
* pitti: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm-guest-session/+bug/262228|Bug #262228: Guest can log in only once, because of password?]]
* pitti: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/logrotate/+bug/256891|Bug #256891: missingok does not work]] (no milestone)
* pitti: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/hal-info/+bug/199059|Bug #199059: [Hardy] Thinkpad X31 (ATI Radeon M6) suspend backlight on]] (no milestone)
* pitti: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/jockey/+bug/263097|Bug #263097: wl vs. b43 are not properly configured]]
* mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/273979|Bug #273979: "apt-cdrom add" fails on intrepid for the alternate CD]]
* mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubufox/+bug/267382|Bug #267382: firefox/ubufox not showing extensions]]
* mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/189406|Bug #189406: Update Manager doesn't display package versions anymore]]
* mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt-xapian-index/+bug/261423|Bug #261423: Intrepid: Xapian fails to find package when using quick search]]
* mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/synaptic/+bug/19021|Bug #19021: Should run dpkg --configure -a automatically]] (no milestone)
* mvo: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/ubuntu-vm-builder/+bug/254966|Bug #254966: The --ssh-key changed behavior between hardy-updates and hardy-proposed]] (no milestone)
* tedg: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/fast-user-switch-applet/+bug/274140|Bug #274140: Visability of Suspend and Hibernate doesn't match gnome-session's dialogs]]
* tedg: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/fast-user-switch-applet/+bug/274146|Bug #274146: Has not yet replaced the existing log out applet]]
* kwwii: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/human-icon-theme/+bug/269500|Bug #269500: "Log Out" and "Switch User" are misaligned]]
* kwwii: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/human-icon-theme/+bug/269504|Bug #269504: "Suspend" icon is black rectangle in "Shut Down" dialog]]
* Riddell: [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/+source/kdebase/+bug/241916|Bug #241916: Kde help index creation fails due to dash incompatability]]
* Release Status
* Review activity reports
* Any other business

== Outstanding actions from last meeting ==

* pitti to discuss gnome-keyring confirmation dialog behaviour in upstream bug
'carried forward'

== Actions from this meeting ==

* pitti to discuss gnome-keyring confirmation dialog behaviour in upstream bug
* mvo to decide on FOSScamp attendance
* kwwii to decide on FOSScamp attendance
* macslow to add X/GTK+ people to FOSScamp sponsorship list
* seb128 to add GNOME people to sponsorship list

== FOSScamp ==

Everybody attends UDS, however FOSScamp attendance is optional. We ran through the team to see who wanted to attend:

* Keybuk
* pitti
* mpt
* seb128
* Riddell
* MacSlow

Not attending:

* tedg

Maybe:

* mvo
* kwwii

== Targeted and Milestoned bugs ==

* use importance and milestone field for your own use on non-targeted bugs
* target a bug to the development release to put it on the RM's radar
* importance and milestone of targeted bugs specifies how release critical it is

== Release Status ==

* gnome-session session saving and restoring does not work at all; it seems like a serious regression, but apart from rolling back to Hardy's gnome-session, there's not much we can do.
* libgphoto2 camera handling is broken, both gvfs and f-spot try to use the device through libgphoto; thus f-spot fails due to gvfs holding it

== Activity reports ==

=== Jonathan Riddell (Riddell) ===

done:
* network manager probing, turns out it's just as broken in suse as it is in us
* packaging Qt 4.4.2
* packaging Qt Jambi
* upgrade testing and a few fixes for it
* kdebase-runtime removing svg icons
* Update kwin in kdebase-workspace
* Update xrandr support in kdebase-workspace
* Kickoff improvements, including an improved logout dialogue and showing text all the time
* fixing kdebase/xine compile breakage
* upload adept with fixed menu listings and software-properties integration
* remove useless zoom button from plasma
* fix software-properties for mysterious runtime bug
* poking rosetta people about bug 273489
* discussing UDS and FOSSCamp with potential Kubuntu and KDE attendees

todo:
* beta

=== Kenneth Wimer (kwwii) ===

* looking into moving out old and/or unwanted gnome themes. After discussion with seb this seems to mess up any upgrades. Are we willing to accept this?

* updated quite a few packages, put in my PPA as well as submitted for Intrepid. Pitti helped me to fix several problems before including them in Intrepid. Packages include:
* gtk2-engines-murrine (new svn snapshot for Intrepid)
* ubuntu-gdm-themes (new gdm art)
* ubuntu-wallpapers (new wallpaper)
* human-theme (bug fixes)
* community-themes (new package in Intrepid)
* ubuntu-sounds (new sounds, package larger, discussing with Steve)

* quite a bit of community discussion around Kyūdō (http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/KyudoGuidelines)

=== Martin Pitt (pitti) ===

Two weeks this time, I did not send a report last week due to conference.

Assigned Intrepid specs:
* intrepid-device-permissions: implemented
* gdm-guest-account: beta available, needs major bug fix (#262228)
* jockey-printer-driver-support: implemented, all things from the spec work now; as bonus, Till is working on the s-c-p integration (will need FF exception)

Other non-chores work done:
* went to Linux Plumbers Conference, see my travel report
* conf call and discussions about landscape integration
* covered for Scott being ill, team meeting chair/reparation/report

Sponsoring:
* community-themes, g-v-m, gtk2-engines-murrine, kvm, libgnomeprintui, transmission, a few syncs, and reviewed a bunch of sponsor bugs which need work

=== Matthew Paul Thomas (mpt) ===

Off sick for most of the week.

=== Michael Vogt (mvo) ===

update-manager:
* some confusion about landscape, added a desktop upgrade rule to remove it (because it is only useful for paying customers), but then removed that rule again because it is now readded to ubuntu-desktop
* upgrade testing according to UpgradeTestingProcess - looks good so far (except CDROM upgrades are currently broken, #273979)
* learned that fglrx, nvidia-71 and nvidia-96 are currently not working with xserver 1.5 and preparing update-manager code to detect/transition them to free drivers (partly done)

synaptic:
* work on the xapian search and fix hang for very short searches
* better results for substring searches

gnome-app-install:
* updated app-install-data-ubuntu for alpha-6
* merge upstream applications.menu changes into the g-a-i menu so that they match again
* fixes in the maintaince UI code
* add extraction code to the upate-menu-data package that can extract the new style codec information (e.g. in gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly)

apt:
* fix segfault in cacheiterators.h
* fix leak in the description processing

compiz:
* packaging 0.7.8 in the compiz PPA
* file FFE for 0.7.8
* good feedback on it so far

misc:
* mail
* bugfixes
* fixes in python-apt
* play with kvm loadvm/savevm again, still unreliable
* help seb with the gnome 2.24 update
* sponsoring (packagekit, gnome 2.24)

=== Mirco Müller (MacSlow) ===

login-experience/gdm-face-browser:
* figured out ho gdm's dbus protocol communication between session-manager and a greeter works using the commands "SelectUser", "BeginVerificationForUser", "SecretInfoQuery", "AnswerQuery", "StartSessionWhenReady"

* authentication of a selected user works now

* able to log in using the face-browser of the new login-experience for the first time ever

* display of a users login-status in the face-browser/graphical-greeter still not working, in contact with William Jon McCann to sort this out

misc:
* more GNOME-hackfest/summit travel preparations *sigh*

* upgraded and updated laptop to intrepid becaue of ...
* iwl3945 timeout issue
* Xorg blanking issue

* after the update built-in ethernet NIC not working anymore (perhaps related to the e1000 kernel-module bug), iwl3945 issue not solved, Xorg blanking issue seems solved

* so no laptop with working network ... not such a good perspective considering the trip to GNOME-hackfest/summit in two weeks

=== Sebastien Bacher (seb128) ===

* GNOME 2.23.92 updates

* lot of desktop bugs triage

* worked on fixing the retracers after the ronne move to the new datacenter, the duplicates database was corrupted, restarted the bots using a fixed version slightly smaller

* did some hardy sru uploads:
* new nautilus bug fix version
* new libglib bug fix version
* backported some nautilus-sendto svn changes
*- backported a gtk patch to fix ipp printing in some cases

* GNOME 2.24.0 updates, lot of those!

* lot of sponsoring for those updates too, nice to see some active contributors giving an hand, thanks to Daniel, Martin and Michael who did their share on sponsoring too

=== Ted Gould (tedg) ===

FUSA:
* Mess with GNOME Panel to get the default settings with the FUSA applet in the upper right corner.
* Fix the GConf in FUSA so that people upgrading will get the right GConf keys
* Very crashers are fixed on CDs (turns out GDM reports no users)
* Posted a blog entry with description and links to all the of the patches so no one can say we're hiding anything (jcastro was concerned about this)

Packaging:
* GPM update to 2.24. Turned out to be difficult as upstream decided to change all the debug functions.
* GSS update to 2.24.
* FUSA update to 2.24.

Misc:
* Booked travel for UDS Jaunty
* Oddly, Atlas travel wanted to know my birthday and the date of birth on my passport separately... still find that interesting.
* Reshuffled travel for Boston GNOME Summit and UI hackfest
* Booked OEM team for meet up
* Tried to find out more details on the hackfest in general, but there doesn't seem to be too many.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott@canonical.com