Old 09-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Adam Petaccia

Default About Pidgin being labeled as "Pidgin Internet Messenger" in the application menu

I can't find a link, but IIRC Pidgin identifies itself as an "Internet
messenger" because there was some dispute of the term "Instant
messenger" with respect to yahoo back when it was still identified as
Gaim.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:53 PM
Adam Petaccia

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 13:37 -0400, Adam Petaccia wrote:
> I can't find a link, but IIRC Pidgin identifies itself as an "Internet
> messenger" because there was some dispute of the term "Instant
> messenger" with respect to yahoo back when it was still identified as
> Gaim.

The change was made in 2004:
http://osdir.com/ml/gnome.gaim.cvs/2004-06/msg00282.html , and it turns
out it was an AOL, not a Yahoo! trademark.

> On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 12:17 -0400, Bryan Quigley wrote:
> > It's funny I kept reading it as Instant when it really said Internet
> > Should be changed in my opinion, have you reported it as a bug?

[snip]

Old 09-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Martin Pitt

Exsecrabilus Exsecrabilus [2008-09-23 15:56 +0000]:
> -Easy to do; a few seconds (or I assume.)

Well, not quite. Changing it will break all translations. Changing
user visible strings is always a nightmare because of this. For the
same reason we shouldn't patch it locally in Ubuntu only, but get an
agreement with upstream.

Also, we are in user interface freeze, so before changing it someone
needs to clear it up with the doc team.

> Why is Pidgin labeled "Pidgin --Internet Messenger--" when the section it is
> under is labeled "Internet" also, therefore making it redundant?
> It should be "Instant Messenger" as is the proper name accepted by all;
> Empathy labels it like so, so why not Pidgin?

I agree, that would make more sense and be more consistent. I don't
remember it being that ugly in Hardy, either.

If you want to drive this, please do (get ubuntu-doc approval, file an
upstream bug, get their ack, create a patch, get it sponsored). Please
yell here if you need help with any step.

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de