Old 09-23-2008, 03:56 PM
"Exsecrabilus Exsecrabilus"

Default About Pidgin being labeled as "Pidgin Internet Messenger" in the application menu

I am going to make a request/suggestion for a change. This isn't one of those changes that'd be like "PLEASE UBUNTU DEVS UBUNTU NEEDS THIS NO RATHER GNOME NEEDS IT AND YOU TOO."

This is one of those changes that'd be like "Oh, why didn't we do that before?" It's:

-Easy to do; a few seconds (or I assume.)
-It doesn't fix any bugs; but if you look at it, makes sense, and again, you exclaim "Oh, why didn't we do that before?"

Here it is:

Why is Pidgin labeled "Pidgin --Internet Messenger--" when the section it is under is labeled "Internet" also, therefore making it redundant?

It should be "Instant Messenger" as is the proper name accepted by all; Empathy labels it like so, so why not Pidgin?

Then you might ask me, if I want it that way, just change it myself. But the problem is, I like sticking to the default. And when I change the system language, that menu item doesn't get changed because I altered it.

Again I will say, this isn't one of those critical things, and you will say, "That's not important at the moment." But this will help polishing up Ubuntu.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:17 PM
"Bryan Quigley"

It's funny I kept reading it as Instant when it really said Internet
Should be changed in my opinion, have you reported it as a bug?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:32 AM
"Matthew East"

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> If you want to drive this, please do (get ubuntu-doc approval, file an
> upstream bug, get their ack, create a patch, get it sponsored). Please
> yell here if you need help with any step.

It won't be an issue to make the necessary change to the documentation
(http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/internet/C/internet-instant-messaging.html)
but please send an email to the docteam and translation team mailing
lists when this is done so that we can ensure that the amendments are
done quickly.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org