Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 PM
"Jo-Erlend Schinstad"

Default Thoughts on getting File Browser Applet into main and ubuntu-desktop

Hello everyone.

I recently became aware of the applet called File Browser Applet, formerly named Gnome Menu File Browser Applet. This is an applet that lets you add one or more folders as menus on your panel, similar to the ones provided by the gnome menu that is default in the Ubuntu Desktop. After using this for only a few days, I've become totally dependent on it. I don't understand how I could ever live without it, almost.

The filebrowser-applet package is now in Intrepids multiverse repository, which is good, but I feel this applet should not only be in main, but ubuntu-desktop should also depend on it.* Hardy-users who'd like to try this out, can download a deb from their project site at http://code.google.com/p/gnome-menu-file-browser-applet/

I'm not only writing this in order to promote it, though I do feel it deserves a lot of attention, but I was hoping that as many people as possible could try it out. If lots of people love it like I do, then it should be made available in the "Add to panel"-list of applets, which would require it to be in main and ubuntu-desktop.

Best Regards,

Jo-Erlend Schinstad