-   -   Reorganisation of the desktop wiki pages (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/161368-reorganisation-desktop-wiki-pages.html)

Cesare Tirabassi 09-16-2008 10:03 PM

Reorganisation of the desktop wiki pages

Dear all,

after having talked with Seb, I have started cleaning-up the desktop team wiki
pages (so, don't worry if you don't find things in their usual places ...).

So far I cleaned up the portal, created a new header entry (news, for the
monthly report) and created a new page which lists all desktop owned packages
with ubuntu and debian versions:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Desktop/Packages

I would appreciate to know if I missed any desktop package or if I should
remove any from this list.
Tomorrow I will try to finish with the remaining pages and see if I can hack
something to easily retrieve upstream versions for the packages page (I guess
a check of the uscan source should prove useful).

Mind that this is work in progress but please let me know if you already have
some major problem or further suggestions.

Cesare

Andreas Moog 09-16-2008 10:07 PM

Reorganisation of the desktop wiki pages

Pedro Fragoso 09-17-2008 12:14 AM

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 00:03 +0200, Cesare Tirabassi wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> after having talked with Seb, I have started cleaning-up the desktop team wiki
> pages (so, don't worry if you don't find things in their usual places ...).
>
> So far I cleaned up the portal, created a new header entry (news, for the
> monthly report) and created a new page which lists all desktop owned packages
> with ubuntu and debian versions:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Desktop/Packages
>
> I would appreciate to know if I missed any desktop package or if I should
> remove any from this list.
> Tomorrow I will try to finish with the remaining pages and see if I can hack
> something to easily retrieve upstream versions for the packages page (I guess
> a check of the uscan source should prove useful).

Maybe we can use and change debian-gnome-status.py from Debian
http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-2.22-status.html to gen the
versions.

This scripts uses dak and searches on the pkg-gnome svn the versions,
perhaps we can change this to use rmadison and work from there.

I don't have much python knowledge to do this, perhaps Emilio or Daniel
are more comfortable with this.

--
,-O Ubuntu Linux <ember@ubuntu.com>
O ; http://www.ubuntu.com

Cesare Tirabassi 09-17-2008 01:31 PM

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 02:14:28 Pedro Fragoso wrote:
> Maybe we can use and change debian-gnome-status.py from Debian
> http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-2.22-status.html to gen the
> versions.

Looks cool. I checked this out but fails on me with:

File "/home/cesare/bin/debian-gnome-status.py", line 277, in <module>
if type(versions[0]) is tuple:
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable

I think we need somebody who has a much better python knowledge than me to
sort this out.

So, for the time being I just updated my miserable bash script and added
colour coding.
Right now I can run the script and upload the results manually to the wiki but
it would be better to have it running (as a cron job) on a server somewhere
(like harvest, etc.).
Perhaps Daniel can help with this?

Cesare

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort 09-17-2008 08:00 PM

Pedro Fragoso wrote:
> Maybe we can use and change debian-gnome-status.py from Debian
> http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-2.22-status.html to gen the
> versions.
>
> This scripts uses dak and searches on the pkg-gnome svn the versions,
> perhaps we can change this to use rmadison and work from there.

I talked about this to Frederic Peters some time ago. From debian-gnome-status.py:

# TODO: create a Ubuntu column, cf
# http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/madison.cgi

I also think it used rmadison before using dak directly (or rather "./my-rmadison").

I will try to have a look at adding it myself, but I'm a bit busy right now so
no promise.

Cheers,
Emilio

Cesare Tirabassi 09-18-2008 09:25 AM

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 22:00:54 Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> I also think it used rmadison before using dak directly (or rather
> "./my-rmadison").

Yes, I use the dak ls interface directly too in my script, using rmadison is
an overkill.

Cesare

Cesare Tirabassi 09-22-2008 10:30 AM

Reorganisation of the desktop wiki pages

I finally hacked a little script during the weekend and you can see the
results here (updated daily):

http://www.webalice.it/norsetto/

This only retrieves upstream package versions for packages which are hosted on
ftp.gnome.org, I'd have to add a special section in the script for retrieving
other upstream versions (cairo, gimp, etc.).
If anyone knows of a more appropriate host please let me know.
Also, would it be appropriate to upload the script to the team bzr repo so
that other people can fiddle with it?

Any feedback is highly appreciated, especially if you think packages need to
be added or removed.

Enjoy,
Cesare

"Baptiste Mille-Mathias" 09-22-2008 11:04 AM

Reorganisation of the desktop wiki pages

Hello,

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Cesare Tirabassi <norsetto@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I finally hacked a little script during the weekend and you can see the
> results here (updated daily):
>
> http://www.webalice.it/norsetto/

I'm happy there is such a tool to keep an eye on version even If I
don't participate that much. Thanks

One problem I see is that the page suggest future unstable version as
upstream - for instance metacity maintainers have already release a
version 2.25.x for next cycle (2.26) and I'm not sure we want to stick
with that version for intrepid :). Perhaps this is a corner -case that
should be ironed-out; but this is not a showstopper.

> Any feedback is highly appreciated, especially if you think packages need to
> be added or removed.

On the page http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointTwentythree; under the
section "Release Suites", you have a set of links with the various
packages that are part of the GNOME release, and the dependencies.
That can perhaps help you.

Cheers
--
Baptiste Mille-Mathias
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressÚs

Cesare Tirabassi 09-22-2008 11:41 AM

On Monday 22 September 2008 13:04:39 Baptiste Mille-Mathias wrote:
> I'm happy there is such a tool to keep an eye on version even If I
> don't participate that much. Thanks

Thanks to you for your feedback.

> One problem I see is that the page suggest future unstable version as
> upstream - for instance metacity maintainers have already release a
> version 2.25.x for next cycle (2.26) and I'm not sure we want to stick
> with that version for intrepid :). Perhaps this is a corner -case that
> should be ironed-out; but this is not a showstopper.

I meant the script as a tool to check with the absolute latest upstream
release.
If this is a problem (or not the wished behaviour) I can easily modify the
script so that it doesn't consider upstream versions above a given release.
In a previous version of the script I was checking by release and suite so the
result was in line with your expectations, however, many packages which are
maintained by the Ubuntu Desktop Team could not be found (while available on
the Sources pages).

> > Any feedback is highly appreciated, especially if you think packages need
> > to be added or removed.

> On the page http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointTwentythree; under the
> section "Release Suites", you have a set of links with the various
> packages that are part of the GNOME release, and the dependencies.
> That can perhaps help you.

My problem is that many of these packages are not maintained by the Ubuntu
Desktop Team, so I'm not sure that it is appropriate to list them all in this
page; what I would really need is a list from the pov of the Ubuntu team.

Thanks for your help,

Cesare

Cesare Tirabassi 09-22-2008 04:11 PM

Reorganisation of the desktop wiki pages

On Monday 22 September 2008 13:04:39 Baptiste Mille-Mathias wrote:
> One problem I see is that the page suggest future unstable version as
> upstream - for instance metacity maintainers have already release a
> version 2.25.x for next cycle (2.26) and I'm not sure we want to stick
> with that version for intrepid :). Perhaps this is a corner -case that
> should be ironed-out; but this is not a showstopper.

OK, I modified the script so that it accepts as an optional argument a Gnome
release number. For the generated web page I use now 2.23 which is the Gnome
release to which we sync for Intrepid.

On Monday 22 September 2008 16:40:49 Didier Roche wrote:
> The missing thing for me is to link to a bug that wait for sponsor

Seems a good idea.

> - Maybe making a "bugs linkage" or "updater" editable field?

Hmmm, that would require some modifications to the html page to allow inputs
via javascript. This will be anyhow pointless as the page is regenerated
daily so that information will be overwritten unless we could somehow save
it. I think this will be too cumbersome to implement.

> - or using the LP API to grep for bug title for this ubuntu package
> containg the sponsor + correct numbering version to automate this?

The problem is how do we decide if a given bug waiting for sponsorship is an
update?
For instance:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/devhelp/+bug/250290

This is an update, but there is no keywords that would lead this to be picked
up.

So, for the time being I added a link to all bugs in the sponsoring queues
about a given source package. Those bugs should then be manually checked to
see if they contain an update or not.

Cesare