Old 09-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Cesare Tirabassi

Default Reorganisation of the desktop wiki pages

On Thursday 25 September 2008 13:15:48 Sebastien Bacher wrote:
>Some packages are actively maintained by one person and some
>other can be claimed by the first one wanting to do the update
> Did you use the wiki usual uploader informations?

Yes.

> Where should we store this list so it can be updated easily?
> The ubuntu-bugs bzr?

I don't mind as long as its available and reliable. I would expect this to be
updated seldomly since I would prefer to sync it manually with my own local
list; the reason is that I have some sublists which I must use and that can
only be generated manually:

1) A blacklist which I use to tell the script to not use the version from
ftp.gnome.org, even if available
2) A list that matches Ubuntu package names with upstream ones
3) A list with "watch" files to retrieve upstream versions (they are watch
files alike but in many cases I can't just use the watch file that is in the
package)

Cesare

Old 09-25-2008, 03:38 PM
"Didier Roche"

2008/9/24 Cesare Tirabassi <norsetto@ubuntu.com>:
> On Monday 22 September 2008 16:40:49 Didier Roche wrote:
>> The missing thing for me is to link to a bug that wait for sponsor
>> (for instance, I have updated gnome-volume-manager, gnome-spell and it
>> is waiting for sponsoring).
>
> Got that and a bit more on a new page which is up for testing here:
>
> http://norsetto.890m.com/desktop_packages.php
>
> I unfortunately had to change server since the other was not supporting php (I
> haven't got much bandwidth on this one, so please use it sparingly until we
> find a new more appropriate house!)
>
> As you can see I added a comment column where you can input whatever text you
> want (a la dad, thanks to adri2000 for his fantastic work which inspired this
> project).
> If you use the "bug #dddddd" keyword, the link on the package name points to
> the bug report page on launchpad (see the example on gnome-volume-manager).

That seems great to me and very hopeful. Thanks for taking my comment
into account. If you need a hand on this, I can help you without any
problem.

For you information, I spoke with Vincent Untz at PCL (french
promotion event) and he shew me this link:
http://tmp.vuntz.net/opensuse-packages/obs.py
This tools has the same goal for the OpenSUSE distribution and a
command line client enables them to update some
information. As vuntz subscribed to this ML, I think he can give more
information if needed.

Didier

Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 PM
Vincent Untz

Le jeudi 25 septembre 2008, à 17:38 +0200, Didier Roche a écrit :
> For you information, I spoke with Vincent Untz at PCL (french
> promotion event) and he shew me this link:
> http://tmp.vuntz.net/opensuse-packages/obs.py
> This tools has the same goal for the OpenSUSE distribution and a
> command line client enables them to update some
> information. As vuntz subscribed to this ML, I think he can give more
> information if needed.

Sure, more information available :-) Just ask stuff.

I didn't read the thread so far, but the point of my tool is to make it
easier for people to update packages in openSUSE. Knowing which packages
are not up-to-date is part of this, but there are other things. Need to
leave soon, so I don't really have time to write down how this works
right now -- but yeah, ask questions!

(Didier, btw, it's openSUSE, not OpenSUSE ;-))

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Cesare Tirabassi

On Thursday 25 September 2008 17:52:39 Vincent Untz wrote:
> Need to leave soon, so I don't really have time to write down how this
> works right now -- but yeah, ask questions!
.
.
.
> Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

I found this hilarious :-)

Anyway, are the tools you use to generate that page open source? I'd be
interested to see how you fetch the data (especially for stuff not hosted on
ftp.gnome.org).

Cesare

Old 09-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Vincent Untz

Le jeudi 25 septembre 2008, à 18:30 +0200, Cesare Tirabassi a écrit :
> Anyway, are the tools you use to generate that page open source? I'd be
> interested to see how you fetch the data (especially for stuff not hosted on
> ftp.gnome.org).

It's not just open source, it's free :-)

It's in http://www.vuntz.net/git/osc-plugins.git/ (in the obs-dissector
plugin -- look at download-upstream-versions). I need to fix the license
(it's LGPL or GPL, instead of what's mentioned in the header).

You also need to take a look at upstream-limits.txt and
upstream-tarballs.txt.

It's in no way openSUSE specific, and the long-term goal I have is to
make this data easily available so everybody can use it (instead of
having everyone run this kind of scripts).

FWIW, it currently output a file with lines like this (format is stupid
and might need a change):

nonfgo:cairo:1.8.0:http://cairographics.org/releases/cairo-1.8.0.tar.gz

(nonfgo is just historical cruft, because I took the format we use
inside the GNOME release team to release GNOME)

I'll probably add the md5sum and/or sha1sum when possible.

If you add more upstream modules, please send me patches :-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.