Old 09-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Cesare Tirabassi

Default Reorganisation of the desktop wiki pages

On Monday 22 September 2008 17:53:22 Brett Alton wrote:
> What about only highlighting the package under Ubuntu when it is out
> of date or under Debian when that is out of date. There are some out
> of date packages for both OSes but only the Ubuntu packages are
> highlighted red.

Yes, that's the point of the page. Debian is already tracking their status
separately (for instance here:
http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-2.22-status.html).

> That may be what you're going for, but what about when Ubuntu is
> behind but Debian is in sync? Then maybe the colour should be green to
> let you know that a simple sync could occur?

There aren't many cases like this now but its a good idea; I'd prefer to code
it yellow though.

> I've bookmarked it if you don't mind.

Heck, that's what is meant for ;-).
Thanks for checking it out.

Cesare

Old 09-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

Cesare Tirabassi wrote:
> My problem is that many of these packages are not maintained by the Ubuntu
> Desktop Team, so I'm not sure that it is appropriate to list them all in this
> page; what I would really need is a list from the pov of the Ubuntu team.

IMHO it's nice to have them. Although the Ubuntu Desktop Team may not be very
interested in them, they are officially part of GNOME and if we can, we want to
make sure we release the latest stable release.

Of course YMMV.

Cheers,
Emilio

Old 09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

Cesare Tirabassi wrote:
> So, for the time being I added a link to all bugs in the sponsoring queues
> about a given source package. Those bugs should then be manually checked to
> see if they contain an update or not.

Perhaps you can also check for bugs with the 'upgrade' tag, or bugs with patches
attached (although this one may not be a very good idea...)

BTW, thanks for the page, it's a great idea!

Cheers,
Emilio

Old 09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
"Didier Roche"

2008/9/22 Cesare Tirabassi <norsetto@ubuntu.com>:
> I finally hacked a little script during the weekend and you can see the
> results here (updated daily):
>
> http://www.webalice.it/norsetto/
>
> This only retrieves upstream package versions for packages which are hosted on
> ftp.gnome.org, I'd have to add a special section in the script for retrieving
> other upstream versions (cairo, gimp, etc.).
> If anyone knows of a more appropriate host please let me know.
> Also, would it be appropriate to upload the script to the team bzr repo so
> that other people can fiddle with it?
>
> Any feedback is highly appreciated, especially if you think packages need to
> be added or removed.

Sorry, I repost the message here even if norsetto has already anwered
but I think this is my day I push "reply" and not "reply to all" and
gmail seems to be stupid when a ML is only in CC

Great work Cesare. I was planning to do such a thing in the near
futur, but you make it first

The missing thing for me is to link to a bug that wait for sponsor
(for instance, I have updated gnome-volume-manager, gnome-spell and it
is waiting for sponsoring). Even if the sponsor time seems to be
really short for desktop package (thanks to all of you!), it would be
a pity if someone would double the effort:
- Maybe making a "bugs linkage" or "updater" editable field? (like in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/TODO) would avoid that. Making the
field empty each time a new version appeared
- or using the LP API to grep for bug title for this ubuntu package
containg the sponsor + correct numbering version to automate this?

What do you think about that?

Once again, congrats for you work. I'm sure seb will appreciate

Didier

Old 09-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Scott James Remnant

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 00:03 +0200, Cesare Tirabassi wrote:

> So far I cleaned up the portal, created a new header entry (news, for the
> monthly report) and created a new page which lists all desktop owned packages
> with ubuntu and debian versions:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Desktop/Packages

Why the creation of a /Desktop/ hierarchy which is otherwise empty?
Shouldn't this be /DeskopTeam/Packages?

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott@canonical.com

Old 09-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Cesare Tirabassi

On Tuesday 23 September 2008 13:15:59 Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 00:03 +0200, Cesare Tirabassi wrote:
> > So far I cleaned up the portal, created a new header entry (news, for the
> > monthly report) and created a new page which lists all desktop owned
> > packages with ubuntu and debian versions:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Desktop/Packages
>
> Why the creation of a /Desktop/ hierarchy which is otherwise empty?
> Shouldn't this be /DeskopTeam/Packages?
>
> Scott

My mistake, cleaned up.

C.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Cesare Tirabassi

On Monday 22 September 2008 16:40:49 Didier Roche wrote:
> The missing thing for me is to link to a bug that wait for sponsor
> (for instance, I have updated gnome-volume-manager, gnome-spell and it
> is waiting for sponsoring).

Got that and a bit more on a new page which is up for testing here:

http://norsetto.890m.com/desktop_packages.php

I unfortunately had to change server since the other was not supporting php (I
haven't got much bandwidth on this one, so please use it sparingly until we
find a new more appropriate house!)

As you can see I added a comment column where you can input whatever text you
want (a la dad, thanks to adri2000 for his fantastic work which inspired this
project).
If you use the "bug #dddddd" keyword, the link on the package name points to
the bug report page on launchpad (see the example on gnome-volume-manager).

Please let me know of any issue, its all pretty much new so I expect few
things still need to be ironed out.

Cesare

Old 09-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Sebastien Bacher

Le lundi 22 septembre 2008 à 13:41 +0200, Cesare Tirabassi a écrit :
> My problem is that many of these packages are not maintained by the
> Ubuntu
> Desktop Team, so I'm not sure that it is appropriate to list them all
> in this
> page; what I would really need is a list from the pov of the Ubuntu
> team.

Hey Cesare,

Thanks for your work on this that looks great. I think we could store a
directory of watch files in the ubuntu-desktop bzr to list of components
that the team is updated and the serie to use. That would be easy to
change, doesn't require uploads to do modifications and allow to change
the serie for packages which are synced on Debian (debian pkg-gnome just
lists stable version in their watch). Opinions on that?

Sebastien Bacher

Old 09-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Sebastien Bacher

Le mercredi 24 septembre 2008 à 23:50 +0200, Cesare Tirabassi a écrit :
> Please let me know of any issue, its all pretty much new so I expect
> few
> things still need to be ironed out.

Hi,

The page looks great, I'm not decided about how we should claim updates
though. Some packages are actively maintained by one person and some
other can be claimed by the first one wanting to do the update. Did you
use the wiki usual uploader informations? Does everybody thinks that's
an useful information? Where should we store this list so it can be
updated easily? The ubuntu-bugs bzr?
The other way would be to have to have some people in charge of updating
the todolist and contributors claiming items there, that would avoid
conflict between people starting on the same update for example.

Sebastien Bacher

Old 09-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> The page looks great, I'm not decided about how we should claim updates
> though. Some packages are actively maintained by one person and some
> other can be claimed by the first one wanting to do the update. Did you
> use the wiki usual uploader informations? Does everybody thinks that's
> an useful information? Where should we store this list so it can be
> updated easily? The ubuntu-bugs bzr?

I think having a list in ~ubuntu-desktop bzr for packages actively updated by
one (or more) person would be fine. Then Cesare's script checks it, and for
those packages having one maintainer, it lists it in the page, perhaps not
displaying the comment field.

> The other way would be to have to have some people in charge of updating
> the todolist and contributors claiming items there, that would avoid
> conflict between people starting on the same update for example.

Do you mean the WeeklyTODO wiki? I've used it in the team for some time and
don't like it very much. I think a page like this, which is automatically
updated and where you just have to put your name in one box to claim the update
is much better.

Cheers,
Emilio