-   -   new spec drafted: support for IR remote controls - comments needed! (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/155702-new-spec-drafted-support-ir-remote-controls-comments-needed.html)

"Wouter Stomp" 09-07-2008 06:01 PM

On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Otto Kekäläinen <otto@sange.fi> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that the IR remote control support in current Linux
> applications suck. Actually fixing the matter is quite easy, so I
> drafted a spec and a plan how to go about it:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/IRRemoteControlSupport
>
> Comments?

Fedora just implemented this for their upcoming release. You can
probably reuse most of their work.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterLIRCSupport

And perhaps there could even be a feature freeze exception to include
gnome-lirc-properties in intrepid? It seems really useful.

Wouter.

Otto Kekäläinen 09-07-2008 07:53 PM

su, 2008-09-07 kello 20:01 +0200, Wouter Stomp kirjoitti:
> On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Otto Kekäläinen <otto@sange.fi> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I noticed that the IR remote control support in current Linux
> > applications suck. Actually fixing the matter is quite easy, so I
> > drafted a spec and a plan how to go about it:
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/IRRemoteControlSupport
> >
> > Comments?
> >

> Fedora just implemented this for their upcoming release. You can
> probably reuse most of their work.
>
> See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/BetterLIRCSupport
>
> And perhaps there could even be a feature freeze exception to include
> gnome-lirc-properties in intrepid? It seems really useful.

Thanks for a quick reply!

However I think you missed my point. My suggestion was to skip lirc
completely - the applications can support special key codes directly,
since the key codes come from the Linux input layer. There wouldn't be
_any_ need for configuration. Just plug in the input device (which does
not even need to be a remote - also multimedia keyboards and multimedia
mouses work) and press the buttons to get playing.

The most elegant solution would be to support these key codes
out-of-the-box with most media applications, since they won't cause any
overhead or conflicts with any normal keyboards / input devices. Then
the lirc specific stuff could be in lirc plugins for non
input-device-users.

BTW, I've tried the Gnome-lirc-properties app a few day ago, and at
least on my computer it refuses to recognize my remote control and
insists to use my mouse (event4) as the input device (and I can't
manually force it to use /dev/input/event6). Also there is no need to
select what remote to use, since the driver already puts out the correct
button actions (key codes) through linux-input-device. Selecting the
device would be enough. However I wouldn't want to select just one
device - I want all of my devices to work (keyboard, mouse, remote). No
matter how I look at this, the best solution would be to skip lirc and
support the special key codes in the applications directly.

Martin Pitt 09-21-2008 04:51 AM

new spec drafted: support for IR remote controls - comments needed!

Hi Otto,

Otto Kekäläinen [2008-09-07 19:21 +0300]:
> I noticed that the IR remote control support in current Linux
> applications suck. Actually fixing the matter is quite easy, so I
> drafted a spec and a plan how to go about it:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/IRRemoteControlSupport

I haven't personally played with LIRC, but if those devices behave
just like a normal evdev device, then using that directly and dropping
LIRC seems very elegant to me. Yay for consolidation and dropping
special case daemons. :-)

Did you actually try to patch rhythmbox, totem, or another app to
recognize those keycodes? I'd like to see what upstream says to that
proposal. In fact, maybe it can be made even more general by making
the GTK stock buttons for play/pause/etc. recognize those keys? Then
all GTK apps would work with that immediately.

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de