Old 12-06-2007, 06:06 AM
"Nanley Chery"

Default Too many printing apps

As of now, we have three printing applications: one for Managing Print
Jobs, another for setting the Default Printer, and another for managing
Printing settings. Respectively, these entries exist under Accessories,
Preferences, and Administration; this is excessive.
I think we should just have one or two apps. We already have the
ability to set the default printer in the Printing app, so the Default printer
app is not needed. And maybe we could embed some
print-job-management-functionality in the Printing app. If that isn't possible,
then we should move the app to administration to reallocate some cruft.
These three apps add an unnecessary amount of complexity to the OS (a tad
reminiscent of some KDE distros I've used).
The only hurdle is that the Printing app is a tool requiring root
privileges and the others don't. It may be (by design) that the other
two apps were provided for non-admin users to manage their printing
preferences and jobs. If this is the case, would it be possible to have
the Printing app globally accessible, requiring a password only when
some options are chosen? or even multiple printing profiles?

Old 12-06-2007, 06:13 AM
"Nanley Chery"

Here's a screenshot of the absurd number of printing applications:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52895259@N00/2090118667/

Old 12-06-2007, 05:42 PM
"Daniel Chapman"

As far as i can see, i agree that these 3 dialogs need to be combined.
This will *greatly* help with the goal of user friendliness.

As Nanley mentioned, you could just have a password prompt when changing
any "admin" options or when accessing an "admin section" of the dialog.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Patrice Vetsel

I must admit that the « old » gnome-cups-manager had a really good
interface.

--
Patrice Vetsel <ubuntu@kagou.fr>
Aka/Alias Kagou

Old 12-08-2007, 04:07 AM
Jan Claeys

Op donderdag 06-12-2007 om 02:06 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Nanley
Chery:
> As of now, we have three printing applications: one for Managing Print
> Jobs, another for setting the Default Printer, and another for managing
> Printing settings. Respectively, these entries exist under Accessories,
> Preferences, and Administration; this is excessive.

There is a global printer settings dialog and a user-specific dialog to
set the default printer (possibly different from the system-default
printer). I guess the print job manager could be hidden from the menus,
as it's available through its status panel icon?

[...]
> The only hurdle is that the Printing app is a tool requiring root
> privileges and the others don't. It may be (by design) that the other
> two apps were provided for non-admin users to manage their printing
> preferences and jobs. If this is the case, would it be possible to have
> the Printing app globally accessible, requiring a password only when
> some options are chosen? or even multiple printing profiles?

I understand that PolicyKit should allow this in the future.

--
Jan Claeys

Old 12-08-2007, 10:08 PM
"Nanley Chery"

Looking around, I have found that this problem would best be solved in
a blueprint drafted by Martin Pitt, hardy-reducing-duplication
( https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardy-reducing-duplication/
). It aims to "Reduce duplicated applications and libraries in Hardy".
I'm not sure if I should add this mailing-list item to the whiteboard
or edit the blueprint, so I sent him an email at his @ubuntu.com
address. Any assistance in getting this usability suggestion into
motion would be greatly appreciated = ) .

Old 01-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Matthew Paul Thomas