Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 AM
"Mads Rosendahl"

Default Change the default screensaver from black to ubuntu logo

Hi
I'm contacting you (the desktop team) because I hope you can help me. I have suggested that the default black screensaver should be changed to "Floating Ubuntu". Please read more here:

I've also added the idea too Brainstorm and also a blueprint to Launchpad:

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/10501/

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/change-default-screensaver

I hope that you are the team I need to contact to make this happen, or at least tell me why it won't happen. Thanks...

//MadsRH

Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 29.07.2008, 13:45 +0200 schrieb Mads Rosendahl:
> Hi
> I'm contacting you (the desktop team) because I hope you can help me.
> I have suggested that the default black screensaver should be changed
> to "Floating Ubuntu". Please read more here:
>
> I've also added the idea too Brainstorm and also a blueprint to
> Launchpad:
> http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/10501/
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/change-default-screensaver
>
> I hope that you are the team I need to contact to make this happen, or
> at least tell me why it won't happen. Thanks...
i have made that change about three releases ago (edgy or feisty), if
its not used anymore probably ted (the current screensaver maintainer)
can tell us why it was reverted, i would consider it a regression.

ciao
oli

Old 07-30-2008, 03:06 PM
David Prieto

I second your idea. I was slightly annoyed too when I realized floating
ubuntu was not default anymore.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Martin Pitt

Mads Rosendahl [2008-07-29 13:45 +0200]:
> I'm contacting you (the desktop team) because I hope you can help me. I have
> suggested that the default black screensaver should be changed to "Floating
> Ubuntu".

Personally I wouldn't mind a more attractive screensaver by default.
However, I'd insist on keeping the black one if you are on a laptop
which is currently running on battery. No need to waste precious power
there for bling.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Ted Gould

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 17:01 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > I hope that you are the team I need to contact to make this happen, or
> > at least tell me why it won't happen. Thanks...
>
> i have made that change about three releases ago (edgy or feisty), if
> its not used anymore probably ted (the current screensaver maintainer)
> can tell us why it was reverted, i would consider it a regression.

What we did do is move the floating Ubuntu screensaver out of the
screensaver package and into the art package so that it was more easily
removable/themeable by derivatives. Probably the GConf keys got lost in
that transition. I'll try to follow up on the art package.

--Ted

Old 08-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Ted Gould

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 17:05 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Personally I wouldn't mind a more attractive screensaver by default.
> However, I'd insist on keeping the black one if you are on a laptop
> which is currently running on battery. No need to waste precious power
> there for bling.

The reality is that the blank screensaver will save very little power
over the floating Ubuntu logos. The blank screensaver leaves the
backlight on, which is the majority of the power. DPMS is still
configured with laptop setups through GPM, and that'll save the power.
I don't think the 2D GPU usage would make much of a difference in power
usage.

--Ted

Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 AM
Matt Zimmerman

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 07:24:32PM +0000, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 17:05 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Personally I wouldn't mind a more attractive screensaver by default.
> > However, I'd insist on keeping the black one if you are on a laptop
> > which is currently running on battery. No need to waste precious power
> > there for bling.
>
> The reality is that the blank screensaver will save very little power
> over the floating Ubuntu logos. The blank screensaver leaves the
> backlight on, which is the majority of the power. DPMS is still
> configured with laptop setups through GPM, and that'll save the power.
> I don't think the 2D GPU usage would make much of a difference in power
> usage.

I don't know about the GPU, but the CPU usage, while low, would presumably
prevent the CPU from going to sleep when it otherwise might, and the power
usage there should be significant.

I agree with Martin that we should default to, simple idle blanking when
running on battery power.

--
- mdz

Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Matt Zimmerman

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:05:33PM +0200, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> 2008/8/5 Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com>:
> > I agree with Martin that we should default to, simple idle blanking when
> > running on battery power.
> Is there no flag in an installation of Ubuntu which indicates if the
> system is a laptop or not? Wouldn't that make things easier?

The laptop-detect package makes it possible to guess whether the system is a
laptop, that's the easy part.

It's probably not worth the trouble to change the behaviour based on whether
the system is currently running on battery power (what happens if you unplug
mains power while the screensaver is active?), so perhaps blanking is still
the most sensible default.

--
- mdz

Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM
"Odysseus Flappington"

I've been using Ubuntu with autosuspend turned on for 2 years now, and it has never inhibited the autosuspend due to CPU usage. Be it while installing packages, burning cds, playing mp3s, much less showing a screensaver.

If the inhibit sleep on CPU load was ever implemented, it never worked.

I believe defaulting to a real screensaver is much more sensible, the parents love stuff like that, even if it means having to detect whether the laptop is on battery or plugged in.

Alex

Old 08-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Matt Zimmerman

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 11:35:32AM +0100, Odysseus Flappington wrote:
> I've been using Ubuntu with autosuspend turned on for 2 years now, and it
> has never inhibited the autosuspend due to CPU usage. Be it while installing
> packages, burning cds, playing mp3s, much less showing a screensaver.

I'm not talking about suspend to RAM, but low-power CPU states.

--
- mdz