Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 PM
"Klaus Bitto"

Default Change the default screensaver from black to ubuntu logo

> While I understand having too much to do, if you have a little bit of
> time now one thing that would be useful is to start documenting and
> filing bugs on the apps that don't support inhibit but should.

No idea if this is useful for anyone else, but there's a little app I
wrote to keep the screensaver inhibited while watching video podcasts
on miro (which is one of those above candidates).

The app is sitting in the system tray and you can inhibit and
uninhibit gnome-screensaver with one click. (You can also start the
screensaver right away or lock the screen from the context menu, but I
think that's no big deal since you can do that from the logout menu,
too)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5452013#post5452013

So maybe this could be promoted to be used until all apps are fixed,
and even packaged.
At least I hope this can help other people, too... I just don't know
where to make it known.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:10 AM
"Mads Rosendahl"

I was just looking over the posts about the change of screensaver. I
couldn't really find out what the discussion ended with. Can anyone
sum up the outcome of the it all? Is anyone working on it at the
moment or will it remain black for Intrepid?

//MadsRH
madsrh(a)gmail.com

Old 08-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Ted Gould

On Aug 22, 2008, at 4:10 AM, "Mads Rosendahl" <madsrh@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just looking over the posts about the change of screensaver. I
> couldn't really find out what the discussion ended with. Can anyone
> sum up the outcome of the it all? Is anyone working on it at the
> moment or will it remain black for Intrepid?

My understanding is that it will remain black in Intrepid.

--Ted

Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 PM

Hi
I would like to suggest another solution for the change the default screensaver from black to ubuntu logo matter, debated earlier on this mailinglist (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2008-August/date.html and https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2008-July/date.html)

> The problem with the current screensaver is that the first
> time you meet it is when the screen suddenly turns black
> during the installation. That is very confusing for most users, as the
> first thought always is that the installation has crashed.

Is there a way to do both powersaving and "branding"? Like, after five minutes the floating Ubuntu screensaver would start and two/three minutes later again, the screen would go into a power saving mode (like it does default now).

More info and comments on Brainstorm: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/10501/

//MadsRH
madsrh@gmail.com
anotherubuntu.blogspot.com--