Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Ted Gould

Default Switching off tabs in Pidgin by default

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 19:10 +0000, wray.justin.ubuntu@gmail.com wrote:
> I think instead the issue should be taken with the upstream dev-team.
> Making a change to have the name of the sender flash, instead of the active
> tab. This seems like a more logical request. And will allow us to keep our
> taskbars from being flooded with windows.

So you're thinking:

When the chat window is minimized the last user to send a message should
have their name appear in the window title.

Should the tab be shifted in the window when it is redisplayed?

--Ted

Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM
"Jonas Jørgensen"

On Dec 3, 2007 8:36 PM, Ted Gould <ted@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 19:10 +0000, wray.justin.ubuntu@gmail.com wrote:
> > I think instead the issue should be taken with the upstream dev-team.
> > Making a change to have the name of the sender flash, instead of the active
> > tab. This seems like a more logical request. And will allow us to keep our
> > taskbars from being flooded with windows.
>
> So you're thinking:
>
> When the chat window is minimized the last user to send a message should
> have their name appear in the window title.

That wouldn't be sufficient: If two new users write a message just
after each other, only the last received would be seen. If Pidgin is
to use tabbed windows by default, the only acceptable solution I can
think of is for the window title to list all the users it contains, or
at least all those with unread messages -- but I can't see how that
could work once we consider people who use very long display names.
And also, this would be significantly more complicated to implement
than simply switching the default value of an existing preference.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Ted,

"When the chat window is minimized the last user to send a message should
have their name appear in the window title." ... Exactly.

Whoever was the last message the user, should be the name on the titlebar. However as far as the tabs themselves go, I think theu should just display in the default order, or allow the user to manually order them. No need to automatically re-order.

Thanks,
Justin M. Wray

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Old 12-03-2007, 07:18 PM

Jonas,

Granted, it would be more work the implement, but it does seem like the correct approach, instead of a work-around such as changing the default.

But as you indicate, it should show all of the usernames with unread messages. Possible in addition to a number of unread messages, incase the names do span further then the space allotted.

Thoughts again?

Thanks,
Justin M. Wray
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Old 12-04-2007, 01:08 PM
"Daniel Chapman"

I agree something needs to be changed, and i think this is the best way to do it:

Upon new message, latest username to flash (in taskbar).
Upon window maximize, latest message tab to be selected (not re-ordered).