-   RPM Package Manager (http://www.linux-archive.org/rpm-package-manager/)
-   -   Macro %so has illegal name - why? (http://www.linux-archive.org/rpm-package-manager/93151-macro-so-has-illegal-name-why.html)

Toralf Lund 05-22-2008 08:30 AM

Macro %so has illegal name - why?

Just tried the following in an rpm spec file

%define so .so

When I tried building with this (rpmbuild -bb), I got

error: Macro %so has illegal name (%define)

Why? I mean, obviously rpmbuild didn't like my macro name, so I can just
change it to something else, but what exactly is wrong with it? What are
the rules? I this documented anywhere?

- Toralf

Valery Reznic 05-22-2008 08:37 AM

Macro %so has illegal name - why?

> Just tried the following in an rpm spec file
>
> %define so .so
>
> When I tried building with this (rpmbuild -bb), I got
>
> error: Macro %so has illegal name (%define)
>
> Why? I mean, obviously rpmbuild didn't like my macro
> name, so I can just
> change it to something else, but what exactly is wrong with
> it? What are
> the rules? I this documented anywhere?
As long as I remember macro should be at least 3 character long.
Why - I have no idea.

Valery.

Toralf Lund 05-23-2008 11:21 AM