Old 05-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Matthew Miller

Default Making a slight modification and replacing an rpm with the same version - is it possible ?

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 03:39:04PM +0300, Ian Brown wrote:
> I had downloaded net-tools src rpm and I made a very minor change in the source
> code.
> Now I created a new rpm after applying this change to the newly created rpm.
> (using adding the modification to the .bz2, using rpmbuild, etc).
> The new rpm I created is net-tools-1.60-87.fc9.x86_64.rpm.
> I have also the same version (net-tools-1.60-87.fc9.x86_64.rpm) installed on my
> machine.
> Is there a way I can replace the new rpm instead the old one?

You can force this to work with -Uvh --oldpackage. But really, what you want
to do is bump the release number. This will both make an upgrade work
seamlessly _and_ at the same time document that it's not the unmodified RPM.

--
Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org <http://mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>