Old 05-08-2008, 06:30 PM
"Aaron Hanson"

Default rpmdb-redhat, rpmdb-Centos, etc..

Hi All -

I've noticed that recent Redhat distros (RHEL5) and derivatives
(Centos5) seem to have stopped supplying resolution databases for the
'--aid' and '--redhatprovides' options. Does anybody have any insight
here? Where support for these options might be headed?

Thanks.

-Aaron

Old 05-08-2008, 06:37 PM
seth vidal

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 11:30 -0700, Aaron Hanson wrote:
> Hi All -
>
> I've noticed that recent Redhat distros (RHEL5) and derivatives
> (Centos5) seem to have stopped supplying resolution databases for the
> '--aid' and '--redhatprovides' options. Does anybody have any insight
> here? Where support for these options might be headed?

away.

rpm --aid's depsolving has a lot of issues on modern distributions and
packaging conventions. For the red hat-related distros (rhel, centos,
fedora) it will not be a recommended solution. I hope in the
not-so-distant future it will be removed altogether. If you want to do
depsolving use one of the rpm depsolvers: (yum, smart, apt, etc)

-sv

Old 05-09-2008, 12:35 PM
"Jeff Johnson"

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 2:37 PM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 11:30 -0700, Aaron Hanson wrote:

> Hi All -

> * * * I've noticed that recent Redhat distros (RHEL5) and derivatives

> (Centos5) seem to have stopped supplying resolution databases for the

> '--aid' and '--redhatprovides' options. Does anybody have any insight

> here? Where support for these options might be headed?

away.

rpm --aid's depsolving has a lot of issues on modern distributions and

packaging conventions. For the red hat-related distros (rhel, centos,

fedora) it will not be a recommended solution. I hope in the

not-so-distant future it will be removed altogether. If you want to do

depsolving use one of the rpm depsolvers: (yum, smart, apt, etc)

You claim "lot of issues" and summarize "will not be a recommended solution"for Red Hat distros.

Would you care to share any details? I'm unaware of "issues" that cannot be solved,and it's certainly useful to display package names that resolve dependencieswhether one ones to automate installing those packages with --aid (or not).

Or perhaps I should wait until*the primary.sqlite yum download reaches 30Mbinstead of the ~6Mb*currently seen on every Fedora 9 yum invocation with updated metadata.

73 de Jeff*

-sv