Old 05-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Zac Elston

Default files getting overwritten

Greetings.

I'm attempting to demonstrate how RPMs will save the developer's butt
by not allowing a file to be overwritten and during my demo, PackageB
overwrites PackageA's file

[root@webd-m01 ~]# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/local/testfile
psi-test-1-dev
psi-retest-2-dev

what did I do wrong?

--specfile snippets

Name: psi-test
Version: 1
Release: dev
install -D testfile $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/local/psi/testfile
%files
%defattr(644,apache,apache)
%config(noreplace) /usr/local/psi/testfile

Name: psi-retest
Version: 2
Release: dev
install -D testfile $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/usr/local/psi/testfile
%files
%defattr(644,apache,apache)
/usr/local/psi/testfile

-zac

Old 05-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Rex Dieter

Zac Elston wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I'm attempting to demonstrate how RPMs will save the developer's butt
> by not allowing a file to be overwritten and during my demo, PackageB
> overwrites PackageA's file
>
> [root@webd-m01 ~]# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/local/testfile
> psi-test-1-dev
> psi-retest-2-dev
>
> what did I do wrong?

Nothing, as long as the file is the *same* (content, checksum, permissions,
timestamp, etc), then it's perfectly legal to be owned by multiple pkgs.

-- Rex