Old 04-22-2008, 01:56 PM

Default How to update a RHEL5 Satellite Server repo

I have created an install server/yum update server one a centralized RHEL5 Server (5.1, kernel 2.6.18-53.1.13)
*
I am using apache2 on the server and http on the clients for both installing and updating.
*
This centralized install/update servers runs other aplications such as Nagios. Because of this is has many optional packages installed.
*
I populated my update repository by performing a new build on a client server then ran "yum -y --downloadonly --downloaddir=/var/www/htdocs/yum update". I then transerred the downloaded packages to the management server into /var/www/htdocs/yum. Lastly I ran "createrepo ." to create the repository.* On the clients I added a repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/companyx.repo

[rhel-companyx]
name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 - i386
baseurl=http://server1.companyx.com/yum
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-company
*
I ran yum update on the client server and it performed perfectly.
*
I reliazed at that point I didn't have a method of keeping the yum update repo up to date. If I run yum -y --downloadonly --downloaddir=/var/www/htdocs/yum update* on the mangement server the repo will be populated with packages not installed on any of my clients. Maybe I need to create a repo for each client and somehow replicate the client RPM databases to the management server. Even if I do replicated the rpm db to the managment server *I don't see the oprion --dbpath in yum that rpm has so I don't know how to utilized the client rpmdb.
*
I am stuck and have to have this project done in a couple of days. I am under pressure !
*
Oh, and purchasing the RedHat Satellite Server product from RedHat is not an option for me.
*
Any and*all*help will be greatly appreciated.........
*
--Thanks, Chris
*
*

*
*

Old 04-22-2008, 02:12 PM
"Stanley, Jon"

It makes no difference if the repo has files that aren't on your clients - they're not going to get them just by doing a 'yum update'

Of course, they could get them with, 'yum install <x>', but that's the point. You could also use mrepo to do this.

________________________________

[...]

This message contains information which may be confidential and/or privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended recipient), you may not read, use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) thereto without retaining any copies.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
Rpm-list mailing list
Rpm-list@redhat.com

Old 04-22-2008, 03:04 PM

Jon,
*
Well that is what I thought. I ran into a big problem after running "yum -y --downloadonly --downloaddir=/var/www/htdocs/yum update" on the management server then performing a yum update on of my test clients. Both of the test clients wouldn't complete the start process. They would hang on the startup of various and different services.
*
I so far have been unable to get either of the systems to boot (even in single user) so I don't have much to go on. I did notice that the update did install a new kernel 2.6.18-8.el5 from 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5. I cannot boot from either kernel.
*
--Thanks, Chris
*
*
From: "Stanley, Jon" <Jon.Stanley@savvis.net>

> It makes no difference if the repo has files that aren't on your clients -
> they're not going to get them just by doing a 'yum update'
>
> Of course, they could get them with, 'yum install ', but that's the point.
> You could also use mrepo to do this.
>
> ________________________________

&
gt; Server (5.1, kernel 2.6.18-53.1.13)

> I am using apache2 on the server and http on the clients for both installing and
> updating.
>
> This centralized install/update servers runs other aplications such as Nagios.
> Because of this is has many optional packages installed.
>
> I populated my update repository by performing a new build on a client server
> then ran "yum -y --downloadonly --downloaddir=/var/www/htdocs/yum update". I
> then transerred the downloaded packages to the management server into
> /var/www/htdocs/yum. Lastly I ran "createrepo ." to create the repository. On
> the clients I added a repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/companyx.repo
>
> [rhel-companyx]
> name=Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 - i386
> baseurl=http://server1.companyx.com/yum
> enabled=1
> gpgcheck=1
> gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-company
>!

&g
t; I ran yum update on the client server and it performed perfectly.

> I reliazed at that point I didn't have a method of keeping the yum update repo
> up to date. If I run yum -y --downloadonly --downloaddir=/var/www/htdocs/yum
> update on the mangement server the repo will be populated with packages not
> installed on any of my clients. Maybe I need to create a repo for each client
> and somehow replicate the client RPM databases to the management server. Even if
> I do replicated the rpm db to the managment server I don't see the oprion
> --dbpath in yum that rpm has so I don't know how to utilized the client rpmdb.
>
> I am stuck and have to have this project done in a couple of days. I am under
> pressure !
>
> Oh, and purchasing the RedHat Satellite Server product from RedHat is not an
> option for me.
>
> Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.......!
..