-   RPM Package Manager (http://www.linux-archive.org/rpm-package-manager/)
-   -   RFC: Search and load driversautomaticallyfromusb-storage media (http://www.linux-archive.org/rpm-package-manager/67977-rfc-search-load-driversautomaticallyfromusb-storage-media.html)

04-11-2008 05:35 AM

RFC: Search and load driversautomaticallyfromusb-storage media

Hello Bill

I am looking at anaconda version 11.4.0.67, loadDriverDisks() is called
very early before module loading, Am I looking at the correct version?
pub/fedora/linux/development/source/SRPMS/

Regards,
Sandeep.

-----Original Message-----
From: anaconda-devel-list-bounces@redhat.com
[mailto:anaconda-devel-list-bounces@redhat.com] On Behalf Of Bill
Nottingham
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:18 PM
To: Discussion of Development and Customization of the Red Hat Linux
Installer
Subject: Re: [ PATCH ] RFC: Search and load

Sandeep_K_Shandilya@Dell.com (Sandeep_K_Shandilya@Dell.com) said:
> We search for drivers in usb-storage very early in the install phase
> (only usb-storage and cdrom and floppy disk drivers are loaded). at
> this time we don't have any disk controller or NIC drivers loaded so
> we will not be searching hard disks or luns on a SAN etc..., so we
> don't have a problem in this regard.

I don't believe you understand how current (F9+) versions of the
installer work. What you describe just doesn't happen.

Bill

John Summerfield 04-11-2008 08:00 AM

Sandeep_K_Shandilya@Dell.com wrote:

Hello Bill

I am looking at anaconda version 11.4.0.67, loadDriverDisks() is called
very early before module loading, Am I looking at the correct version?
pub/fedora/linux/development/source/SRPMS/

<chortle>
I just mentioned that very version on another list. It's much newer than
what you will find in RHEL5, it's about what will be in Fedora 9. I
found it in the boot.iso from Rawhide, built April 9.

<tosses dust in air> Hmm </tosses dust in air>
Might be about what appears in RHEL6. When's it due?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Bill Nottingham 04-11-2008 12:46 PM

RFC: Search and load driversautomaticallyfromusb-storage media

Sandeep_K_Shandilya@Dell.com (Sandeep_K_Shandilya@Dell.com) said:
> I am looking at anaconda version 11.4.0.67, loadDriverDisks() is called
> very early before module loading, Am I looking at the correct version?
> pub/fedora/linux/development/source/SRPMS/

Yes. That's part of why it's broken. Where it's called today
you'll actually have *no* modules loaded at all, so it won't be
able to find anything. Except perhaps a floppy.

Once it's fixed, it will be after the normal device load, which
uses udev and loads pretty much everything.

Bill