Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Default question on spec file "%kmdl"

Hi all,

I'm trying to rebuild some src rpms that I d/l'ed from atrpms.

Their spec files have a "%kmdl" directive in them.

how might I handle this ?

Specifically, I'm trying to build the ipw3945 rpm for Fedore 8

http://dl.atrpms.net/all/ipw3945-1.2.0-18.4.src.rpm

How might I address this issue ?

many thanks in advance,

-Greg Hosler

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
(from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler greg@hosler.per.sg |

Old 02-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Tony Earnshaw

I'm trying to rebuild some src rpms that I d/l'ed from atrpms.

Their spec files have a "%kmdl" directive in them.

how might I handle this ?

Specifically, I'm trying to build the ipw3945 rpm for Fedore 8

http://dl.atrpms.net/all/ipw3945-1.2.0-18.4.src.rpm

How might I address this issue ?

Google for '%kmdl rpm'

--Tonni

--

Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl

Old 02-10-2008, 04:44 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On 2/10/08, Tony Earnshaw <tonni@hetnet.nl> wrote:
> rpm@amnesia.accessgate.com.sg skrev, on 10-02-2008 12:46:
>
> > I'm trying to rebuild some src rpms that I d/l'ed from atrpms.
> >
> > Their spec files have a "%kmdl" directive in them.
> >
> > how might I handle this ?

I've run into this many times. My solution is avoid ATRPMs at all
cost. AT created his own rpm macro scheme and unless you install his
devel packages, you will have trouble. So I avoid them.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 02-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Axel Thimm

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 11:44:18AM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On 2/10/08, Tony Earnshaw <tonni@hetnet.nl> wrote:
> > rpm@amnesia.accessgate.com.sg skrev, on 10-02-2008 12:46:
> >
> > > I'm trying to rebuild some src rpms that I d/l'ed from atrpms.
> > >
> > > Their spec files have a "%kmdl" directive in them.
> > >
> > > how might I handle this ?

Install atrpms-rpm-config. As well as any kernel headers/sources you
need to build kmdls for.

> I've run into this many times. My solution is avoid ATRPMs at all
> cost. AT created his own rpm macro scheme and unless you install his
> devel packages, you will have trouble. So I avoid them.

What's wrong with defining macros? Nowadays even cmake defines its own
macros (nothing against cmake or its macros), and a more complex setup
like kernel modules is in need for abstaction even more so.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM
"Paul Johnson"

2008/2/10 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@atrpms.net>:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 11:44:18AM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:

> Install atrpms-rpm-config. As well as any kernel headers/sources you
> need to build kmdls for.
>
> > I've run into this many times. My solution is avoid ATRPMs at all
> > cost. AT created his own rpm macro scheme and unless you install his
> > devel packages, you will have trouble. So I avoid them.
>
> What's wrong with defining macros? Nowadays even cmake defines its own
> macros (nothing against cmake or its macros), and a more complex setup
> like kernel modules is in need for abstaction even more so.
> --

What's wrong? One needs to install your package of macros on every
machine on which rpms are to be created. In a fast moving environment
where one is managing a lot of different kinds of rpm systems (some
Fedora, Scientifc Linux, some RedHat of various generations), it is
easiest to rely on the default macros that work all of the time to
build RPMs. On some systems, I don't have root permissions, and can
build RPMs in my account. The ATrpms config package can't be
installed there, and I'm totally dead in the water. Sometimes people
allow me to log into their systems as a user and build a package for
other people who have that same system, but I can't install special
macros on those systems just to build an RPM. And I do perfectly fine
RPMS with the standard macros. I have trouble not only with ATrpms,
but also Mandriva and SUSE for this reason.

pj

Old 02-13-2008, 03:01 AM
Axel Thimm

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:51:12PM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:
> 2008/2/10 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@atrpms.net>:

> > Install atrpms-rpm-config. As well as any kernel headers/sources you
> > need to build kmdls for.
> >
> > > I've run into this many times. My solution is avoid ATRPMs at all
> > > cost. AT created his own rpm macro scheme and unless you install his
> > > devel packages, you will have trouble. So I avoid them.
> >
> > What's wrong with defining macros? Nowadays even cmake defines its own
> > macros (nothing against cmake or its macros), and a more complex setup
> > like kernel modules is in need for abstaction even more so.
> > --
>
> What's wrong? One needs to install your package of macros on every
> machine on which rpms are to be created. In a fast moving environment
> where one is managing a lot of different kinds of rpm systems (some
> Fedora, Scientifc Linux, some RedHat of various generations), it is
> easiest to rely on the default macros that work all of the time to
> build RPMs. On some systems, I don't have root permissions, and can
> build RPMs in my account.

If you don't have permission to alter the contents of a build
(ch)root, then you have many problems with building rpms where any BR
has not been installed for you in advance. Especially your own rpms
that other rpms of yours may be depdending on.

> The ATrpms config package can't be installed there, and I'm totally
> dead in the water. Sometimes people allow me to log into their
> systems as a user and build a package for other people who have that
> same system, but I can't install special macros on those systems
> just to build an RPM. And I do perfectly fine RPMS with the
> standard macros. I have trouble not only with ATrpms, but also
> Mandriva and SUSE for this reason.

You will also have trouble if the systems in question require BR that
have not been preinstalled or that you have to build yourself. Just as
you will have to ask the users/admins for permissions to do so in
those cases you woould have to do so with the atrpms-rpm-config
package.

Or you need a non-root build system which may be released soon on
rpmrepo.org.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net

Old 02-13-2008, 03:33 AM
Axel Thimm

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 06:01:56AM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 03:51:12PM -0600, Paul Johnson wrote:

> > > Install atrpms-rpm-config. As well as any kernel headers/sources you
> > > need to build kmdls for.

> > > What's wrong with defining macros? Nowadays even cmake defines its own
> > > macros (nothing against cmake or its macros), and a more complex setup
> > > like kernel modules is in need for abstaction even more so.
> > > --
> >
> > What's wrong? One needs to install your package of macros on every
> > machine on which rpms are to be created. In a fast moving environment
> > where one is managing a lot of different kinds of rpm systems (some
> > Fedora, Scientifc Linux, some RedHat of various generations), it is
> > easiest to rely on the default macros that work all of the time to
> > build RPMs. On some systems, I don't have root permissions, and can
> > build RPMs in my account.

I forgot to add that contrary to any other BR you may have the
atrpms-rpm-config package does not need to be "installed" on a root
level. If you can't install the package, you can still copy its
contents into ~/.rpmmacros. So in comparison to a BuildRequires:
foo-devel which is not pre-installed in your setups you don't actually
need root permission to apply the macros, e.g. a less severe situation
than when dealing with truly missing BRs on (ch)roots you cannot
alter.

And BTW2 I'm the first to welcome atrpms-rpm-config to become part of
the standard Fedora/RHEL setup. In fact that was the reason I was in
the FPC for quite a long time now (well, ever since it was created).

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net