Old 02-04-2008, 09:40 AM
devzero2000

Default Naive question: boolean dependency

Hi to all

I have not found recent documentation, so this post.

It is* possible to express boolean dependencies in RPM?

For example i would like to say that a package* depends on if another package is not installaed.
Or if could express OR dependency, eventually based also on version number : e.g.
as in Requires: (pkg <=1.0.3) | (pkg>=1.9.3)*

Thanks in advance

Old 02-05-2008, 06:00 AM
Tony Earnshaw

I have not found recent documentation, so this post.

This cost me about 3 minutes of imaginative Googling:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/drafts/rpm-guide-en/

I have both this and Maximum on my hard disk and indexed for searching
on single words with swish-e.

It is possible to express boolean dependencies in RPM?

Yes. grep -ir for examples in /usr/lib/rpm.

For example i would like to say that a package depends on if another
package is not installaed.
Or if could express OR dependency, eventually based also on version
number : e.g.
as in Requires: (pkg <=1.0.3) | (pkg>=1.9.3)

The above hasn't anything to do with Boolean switches but is given with
the Requires: and/or BuildRequires: definitions.

Best,

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl

Old 02-05-2008, 09:10 AM
devzero2000

On Feb 5, 2008 8:00 AM, Tony Earnshaw <tonni@hetnet.nl> wrote:

> This cost me about 3 minutes of imaginative Googling:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/drafts/rpm-guide-en/

I have bought the book a few years ago: i talk about RPM 4.1. The online
version lacks some chapter also.

MAXIMUN RPM is all about RPM* 3.0.x - used in redhat 6.2 if i remember correctly and yes, also on AIX 5.3

Today we have at least 4.4.3.x.y.z(www.rpm.org), Mandriva also 4.4.6. Some evolution and new features have occurred from 4.1

>The above hasn't anything to do with Boolean switches but is given with
the Requires: and/or BuildRequires: definitions.

Probably I spoke badly, but I wanted to ask the question as raised by this comparison chart

*http://kitenet.net/~joey/pkg-comp/#foot11

> Yes. grep -ir for examples in /usr/lib/rpm.

I haven't found any, but probably i haven't looked well.

I have

Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 PM
"Jeff Johnson"

rpm has never had support for alternation (as in A | B) through Requires:All dependencies are implictly && (except for triggers which are naturally ||).
What can serve instead of saying** *Requires: A | Bis having multiple provides and virtual dependencies, but
that quickly gets complicated.
There's no real reason why alternation could not be done. I looked
at related issues last May while implementing a compound &&so that one could naturally say** *Requires: foo.i386where the N.A form implies that i386 must match in the same package.
I implemented negated dependencies like** *Requires: !fooat the same time (Requires: !foo is formally analogous to Conflicts: foo,
there is a similar symmetry between Provides: and ObsoletesLikely dependency ranges are more important to implement than having the ability to
specify alternate comparisons. I would have implemented last May but therewas no obvious consensus on what the syntax should be when I asked.
73 de Jeff

Old 02-06-2008, 03:49 AM
Michael Jennings

On Tuesday, 05 February 2008, at 08:00:42 (+0100),
Tony Earnshaw wrote:

>> It is possible to express boolean dependencies in RPM?
>
> Yes. grep -ir for examples in /usr/lib/rpm.

Please share some. I would love to see them.

>> Requires: (pkg <=1.0.3) | (pkg>=1.9.3)
>
> The above hasn't anything to do with Boolean switches but is given with the
> Requires: and/or BuildRequires: definitions.

Please illustrate.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX) http://www.kainx.org/ <mej@kainx.org>