Old 01-18-2008, 01:52 PM

Default rpm, install, and umask

I am confused how an rpm package I generated
to simplify adding support for an additional hardware device (reflective
memory card). *I hope someone can explain what happens and the proper
way I should create the rpm.

My problem is somehow related to the
umask setting, since I did not have any problems until the default umask
changed to 077 to comply with security settings. *Installing the rpm
package after the default umask is 077, some header files that are place
in /usr/lib/rfm2g directory with no permission for group and world.

My install section for the header files
uses the command install -d /usr/lib/rfm2g. *When I test the command
by setting my umask to 077 and test the command I get a directory created
with read and execute rights for everyone (owner, group, and world). *What
is the rpm package doing differently?______________________________________ _________
Rpm-list mailing list
Rpm-list@redhat.com

Old 01-19-2008, 12:28 PM
"Jeff Johnson"

I am confused how an rpm package I generated
to simplify adding support for an additional hardware device (reflective
memory card). *I hope someone can explain what happens and the proper
way I should create the rpm.

My problem is somehow related to the
umask setting, since I did not have any problems until the default umask
changed to 077 to comply with security settings. *Installing the rpm
package after the default umask is 077, some header files that are place
in /usr/lib/rfm2g directory with no permission for group and world.

If rpm-5.0, then what is confusing is that rpm is making a umask(0022) call,overriding whatever default umask you have specified.
*

My install section for the header files
uses the command install -d /usr/lib/rfm2g. *When I test the command
by setting my umask to 077 and test the command I get a directory created
with read and execute rights for everyone (owner, group, and world). *What
is the rpm package doing differently?As a security measure, umask(2) can only succeed if all programs do not override.
But for packaging, particularly for permissions for files generated as side effect ofrunning a package scriptlet, the files are generated with limited access that canbreak other packages.
I personally don't think rpm should set or change umask, but I'm in a minority.*73 de Jeff