Old 01-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Isabelle Poueriet

Default rpm fails depedency even when they're met

Hello!
*
I try to install package X that depends on shared lib Y.so.s1.
Y.so.1 is on /usr/lib/ and it is supplied by a non-rpm package.
*
What can I do so that rpm does not fail depedency of Y.so.1 for Package X?
*
Thanks much in advance!
*
*

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.___________________________________________ ____
Rpm-list mailing list
Rpm-list@redhat.com

Old 01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
seth vidal

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 13:39 -0800, Isabelle Poueriet wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I try to install package X that depends on shared lib Y.so.s1.
> Y.so.1 is on /usr/lib/ and it is supplied by a non-rpm package.
>
> What can I do so that rpm does not fail depedency of Y.so.1 for
> Package X?
>
> Thanks much in advance!

have the package installed by rpm. rpm doesn't look at the local
filesystem for what is or is not there. It only looks at the rpm
database. If the file isn't installed by rpm then rpm won't be able to
know about it.

-sv

Old 01-07-2008, 08:56 PM
"Jeff Johnson"

On Jan 7, 2008 4:40 PM, seth vidal <skvidal@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 13:39 -0800, Isabelle Poueriet wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I try to install package X that depends on shared lib Y.so.s1.
> Y.so.1 is on /usr/lib/ and it is supplied by a non-rpm package.

> What can I do so that rpm does not fail depedency of Y.so.1 for
> Package X?
>
> Thanks much in advance!

have the package installed by rpm. rpm doesn't look at the local

filesystem for what is or is not there. It only looks at the rpm
database. If the file isn't installed by rpm then rpm won't be able to
know about it.

Actually rpm-5.0 has a runtime probe dependency to solve exactlythis type of problem of mixing package and unpackaged libraries:** *Requires: soname(/path/to/library) =
Y.so.s1if you want a solution in packaging.There are several other means to supply sonames-not-from-packages
to rpmlib as well, including** *mkdir -p /etc/rpm/sysinfo** *echo "Y.so.s1" >> /etc/rpm/sysinfo/Providenamehth
73 de Jeff73 de Jeff*

Old 01-07-2008, 09:20 PM
"Mahapatro, Amrita (GTI)"

Title: Message

Hi!
*
You
can*try using --nodeps switch while installing the
rpm
*
Regards,
Amrita

I try to install package X that depends on shared lib Y.so.s1.
Y.so.1 is on /usr/lib/ and it is supplied by a non-rpm package.
*
What can I do so that rpm does not fail depedency of Y.so.1 for Package
X?
*
Thanks much in advance!
*
*

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find
them fast with Yahoo! Search.

This message w/attachments (message) may be privileged, confidential or proprietary, and if you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, do not use or share it and delete it. Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Merrill Lynch. Subject to applicable law, Merrill Lynch may monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems. The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free. This message is subject to terms available at the following link: http://www.ml.com/e-communications_terms/. By messaging with Merrill Lynch you consent to the foregoing.

*
*

*

Old 01-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Isabelle Poueriet

Thanks* Jeff,
*
in which version of rpm is this feature (/etc/rpm/sysinfo/Providename) supported? I've tried it on rpm 4.3 and 4.4 and it doesnt' seem to work.
*
thanks.
p.s. I don't want to use --nodeps ;-(
On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 13:39 -0800, Isabelle Poueriet wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I try to install package X that depends on shared lib Y.so.s1.
> Y.so.1 is on /usr/lib/ and it is supplied by a non-rpm package.
>
> What can I do so that rpm does not fail depedency of Y.so.1 for
> Package X?
>
> Thanks much in advance!

have the package installed by rpm. rpm doesn't look at the local
filesystem for what is or is not there. It only looks at the rpm
database. If the file isn't installed by rpm then rpm won't be able to
know about it.

Actually rpm-5.0 has a runtime probe dependency to solve exactly
this type of problem of mixing package and unpackaged libraries:

** *Requires: soname(/path/to/library) = Y.so.s1

if you want a solution in packaging.

There are several other means to supply sonames-not-from-packages
to rpmlib as well, including
** *mkdir -p /etc/rpm/sysinfo
** *echo "Y.so.s1" >> /etc/rpm/sysinfo/Providename

hth

73 de Jeff

73 de Jeff*

Be a better friend, newshound, and