Old 01-05-2008, 01:03 PM
"Jeff Johnson"

Default rpm-5.0 released

RPM 5.0 has just been released through http://rpm5.org.Details can be found in the included NEWS file.
Most of the rpm-5.0 development efforts were in portabilityand including support for XAR format. One of the immediatebenefits of adding support for XAR was that much of the existing
Header code was rewritten. E.g. array lookup's through rpm --queryare now 10x (yes 10x, not 10%) faster.Perhaps the most interesting feature for packagers on rpm-list is
the additional support for arbitrary tags. These are string valued (or string arrayif used multiple times) tags that can be added to *.rpm packaging bydoing
1) Add the name of the tag to the list of permitted arbitrary tags.** * *The permitted arbitrary tags are configured in the macro** * #
** * # Colon separated list of permitted arbitrary tag names** * %_arbitrary_tags * * * *Class:Track:Trackprog:Foo:Bar:Baz2) Set the value of the tag by adding to a spec file:
** * ...** * Foo: This is a string value for the tag Foo.3) Build a package. Verify the arbitrary tag is present by
** *rpm -qp --qf '%{foo}
' package*.rpmArbitrary tags will eventually be made identical to XAR attributes/properties.
(Note: one meaning for X in XAR is eXtensible. another meaning is XML.)Enjoy!73 de Jeff

Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Tony Earnshaw