Old 09-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Adrián Márques

Default Files listed twice question

Hi there,

I'm an absolute newbie trying to package an application with RPM for the
first time and would like to mark some files as config files.
The top directory of this aplication has several files and directories,
only two of which hold config files. Thus, I'm doing something like this
in my spec file:

%files
/usr/local/myAppTopDir/
%config /usr/local/myAppTopDir/configDir1/*
%config /usr/local/myAppTopDir/configDir2/*

Obviously, this generates several 'file listed twice' warnings. However,
I queried the generated rpm and didn't find anything wrong with it. All
config files where included and correctly marked as config files.

So my questions are: can I safely ignore these warnings or listing files
twice like I have causes a problem I'm not seeing now? is there a better
way to do what I want?

I have been looking through the list archives so I know many of you
would advice me to explicitly list all files. I know this would take
care of this particular problem, but I don't want to do that unless I
really have to, since I find globbing significantly more practical in
this case.

I thank you already for taking the time to read this.

Regards.

Adrián.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Valery Reznic

> I'm an absolute newbie trying to package an application
> with RPM for the
> first time and would like to mark some files as config
> files.
> The top directory of this aplication has several files and
> directories,
> only two of which hold config files. Thus, I'm doing
> something like this
> in my spec file:
>
> %files
> /usr/local/myAppTopDir/
> %config /usr/local/myAppTopDir/configDir1/*
> %config /usr/local/myAppTopDir/configDir2/*
>
> Obviously, this generates several 'file listed
> twice' warnings. However,
> I queried the generated rpm and didn't find anything
> wrong with it. All
> config files where included and correctly marked as config
> files.
>
> So my questions are: can I safely ignore these warnings or
> listing files
> twice like I have causes a problem I'm not seeing now?
> is there a better
> way to do what I want?
>
> I have been looking through the list archives so I know
> many of you
> would advice me to explicitly list all files. I know this
> would take
> care of this particular problem, but I don't want to do
> that unless I
> really have to, since I find globbing significantly more
> practical in
> this case.
It's strange that it's only warning at least before it was error.

I personally prefer am list file explicit. It'sallows cross-check between installation files into build-root and filelist.
If you haven't too much files I suggest explicitly list them. If you have too much you can use find to generate filelist on the fly.

Valery