Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 AM
"Jeffrey Sherwin"

Default File listed twice

Hi,

*

I am trying to build RPM files for my software, and keep seeing
warnings during the rpmbuild process:

*

warning: File listed twice: [file name]

*

I see this repeatedly for each file (and there are many). I
recognize this may be the result of testing my build spec over and over again,
but how do I clear those errors out? Where are the files being listed twice?
These files are not listed twice in the %files list.

*

I am working on i386 Redhat 5ES.

*

Thanks,

*

Jeff.

*

Old 09-01-2008, 01:37 AM
"Stanley, Jon"

Are you listing files twice? Maybe specifically and captured by a glob?

I am trying to build RPM files for my software, and keep seeing
warnings during the rpmbuild process:

*

warning: File listed twice: [file name]

*

I see this repeatedly for each file (and there are many). I
recognize this may be the result of testing my build spec over and over again,
but how do I clear those errors out? Where are the files being listed twice?
These files are not listed twice in the %files list.

*

I am working on i386 Redhat 5ES.

*

Thanks,

*

Jeff.

*

This message contains information which may be confidential and/or privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended recipient), you may not read, use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) thereto without retaining any copies.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:44 AM
Bob Proulx

Jeffrey Sherwin wrote:
> warning: File listed twice: [file name]
>
> I see this repeatedly for each file (and there are many). I recognize
> this may be the result of testing my build spec over and over again, but
> how do I clear those errors out?

State isn't saved and so there isn't anything to clear out. Building
twice shouldn't be a problem.

> Where are the files being listed twice?

In the %files section.

> These files are not listed twice in the %files list.

I believe you. But can you post your spec file so that we can inspect
it? If you want a second set of eyes on it then we will need to be
able to see it. It is probably too large for the mailing list (4k
message limit) in which case posting it to one of the free pastebins
and then posting the URL to it would be best.

Bob

Old 09-01-2008, 01:59 AM
"Jeffrey Sherwin"

Nope.

I'm on an isolated machine, did the install manually and a find * from the app root directory afterwards, and pumped that list into the %files section of the spec.

No file is listed twice in that listing, and the warning messages come for a single file in groups of 2-5.

There is no makefile and no installation script for this, just a untar and a bunch of file moves.

Jeff.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 AM
"Jeffrey Sherwin"

Title: Re: File listed twice

I'd rather not post the whole thing, but ill send it to you directly or post a redacted version. I'm afraid that the redacted version will not have all the details you may need to see the problem.

Please advise best next steps. Thank you for the quick response.

Jeff.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:20 AM
"Stanley, Jon"

Title: Re: File listed twice

Why not post the whole thing? I'm not sure what confidential information could be in a spec file.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 AM
Valery Reznic

> I'm on an isolated machine, did the install manually
> and a find * from the app root directory afterwards, and
> pumped that list into the %files section of the spec.
If you did 'find *' then your filelist contains both files and directories.
But if you specify directory in the %files than rpmbuild by itself added all files under this dir. And they are found by find too. Her you go - files found twice. In order to avoid it you have to specify directories with %dir attribute.
Or don't list files under any directory.
i.e instead of 'find *' you can use 'ls -1'

Valery

Old 09-01-2008, 04:54 AM
"Jeffrey Sherwin"

Interesting. I think that's the answer. I have directories in the file
list. So I need to pull them out.

If I have a big tree (that the entire installation is contained within),
with a 900 or so files, what is the easiest way to accomplish a
comprehensive and proper file list?

Thanks again for all the help.

Jeff.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Michael Jennings

On Monday, 01 September 2008, at 00:54:21 (-0400),
Jeffrey Sherwin wrote:

> Interesting. I think that's the answer. I have directories in the file
> list. So I need to pull them out.
>
> If I have a big tree (that the entire installation is contained within),
> with a 900 or so files, what is the easiest way to accomplish a
> comprehensive and proper file list?
>
> Thanks again for all the help.

List only the top-level files and directories your package should
own. For example, list %{_datadir}/yourapp/ as a directory, not all
its contents. That way your package will own the directory *and* the
contents. List files in system directories (e.g., %{_bindir}/yourapp)
individually. This technique properly delegates file/directory
ownership.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX) http://www.kainx.org/ <mej@kainx.org>
Linux Server/Cluster Admin, LBL.gov Author, Eterm (www.eterm.org)

Old 09-01-2008, 05:05 AM
"Jeffrey Sherwin"

That makes sense. Thanks. The warnings are now all gone.

I appreciate all of the help.

Jeffrey Sherwin wrote:

> Interesting. I think that's the answer. I have directories in the file
> list. So I need to pull them out.
>
> If I have a big tree (that the entire installation is contained
within),
> with a 900 or so files, what is the easiest way to accomplish a
> comprehensive and proper file list?
>
> Thanks again for all the help.

List only the top-level files and directories your package should