Old 07-17-2008, 05:43 AM
"Victoria Muntean"

Default handling removal of shared file

[cross post rpm-list@redhat.com, usenet group linux.redhat.rpm ]
*
I have 3 specfiles for 3 [somehow related] packages, A, B, C.
All 3 specfiles*include same configfile /etc/abc_common.cfg.
When I remove package C, rpm -e removes file /etc/abc_common.cfg,
even though A and B are still installed. This breaks packages A and B.

How to make rpm keep shared file until last package that uses it is
removed ?

Thanks
*
Viki

Old 07-21-2008, 08:01 AM
devzero2000

I have 3 specfiles for 3 [somehow related] packages, A, B, C.
All 3 specfiles*include same configfile /etc/abc_common.cfg.
When I remove package C, rpm -e removes file /etc/abc_common.cfg,
even though A and B are still installed. This breaks packages A and B.

I my humble opinion it is a bad RPM practice to have +1 package with the
same config file. In effect i am pretty sure you haven't marked them in the SPEC as %config,

because the RPM rule will not permit the installation of the second RPM. So the beaviour you describe
it is not due to RPM.

JMHO, YMMV

*

Viki

Old 07-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Carter Sanders

I also think you should not share the config file. You can look at
apache for an example related projects using a shared config directory,
but not the same file. Apache has a top level /etc/httpd.conf which
includes all the files under /etc/httpd/conf.d/. When you install
apache add ons, they drop files in /etc/httpd/conf.d/, which works
well. I can't remember which ones now, but I have seen a similar
practice in other packages as well.

I should warn you, that if you try to do anything tricky with having
various rpm postinstall* scripts do some manipulation of the shared
conf file, you may run into problems. I've worked somewhere where they
tried to make that work, and it didn't. The conf file can always change
enough that script regexps don't match it anymore. Also, it's difficult
to get the logic right in a postinstall script that manipulates a
config file with respect to proper handling up updates vs. installs.

-Carter