Old 06-18-2008, 03:05 PM
"Ferris, John"

Default Rpmbuild problem

Title: Rpmbuild problem

Hello,

I'm new to rpmbuilding, and have not been able to find the information to fix the problem I am having. I'm trying to build an RPM that runs two scripts as it's installation. While the rpm is building, it is able to run the scripts and install the software, but after, all it does is unpackage the software into specific folders, never running the scripts. Does this mean that RPM's can't run scripts on the fly? Also, the scripts require user input…will that be possible? Thank you in advance for your help.

John

Old 06-18-2008, 04:54 PM
diego bowen

Use "makeself"

¬*

http://www.megastep.org/makeself/

¬*

¬*

Let me know how it works...

Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 PM
devzero2000

2008/6/18 Ferris, John <john.ferris@gdc4s.com>:

Hello,

I'm new to rpmbuilding, and have not been able to find the information to fix the problem I am having. I'm trying to build an RPM that runs two scripts as it's installation. While the rpm is building, it is able to run the scripts and install the software, but after, all it does is unpackage the software into specific folders, never running the scripts. Does this mean that RPM's can't run scripts on the fly?

No, it is not true. Look at the %pre, %post scriptlet section in the published docu
¬*
Also, the scripts require user input…will that be possible? Thank you in advance for your help.

In general the answer is no: rpm was born for noninteractive installation

Old 06-23-2008, 02:49 PM

rpm-list-bounces@redhat.com wrote on 06/18/2008 10:05:10 AM:

> Hello,
> I'm new to rpmbuilding, and have not been able to find the
> information to fix the problem I am having. I'm trying to build an
> RPM that runs two scripts as it's installation. While the rpm is
> building, it is able to run the scripts and install the software,
> but after, all it does is unpackage the software into specific
> folders, never running the scripts. Does this mean that RPM's can't
> run scripts on the fly? Also, the scripts require user input…will
> that be possible? Thank you in advance for your help.
> John

John,

What section of the spec are you placing the scripts in? If you could the
spec file would be a useful reference to help you.

As for user input.... in general that is strongly discouraged for RPMs due
to their design towards being headlessly installed. Is it possible? Yes, I
believe it is.

-greg