Old 07-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

Default mail server

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Denis Witt
<denis.witt@concepts-and-training.de> wrote:
> On 25.07.2012 13:52, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> here is some details about my office.
>

>> 1. 20 users.
>> 2. pop from main server
>> 3. send via SMTP
>> 4. local mail distribution IMAP
>

>> i am not looking in to easy or hard mail server. what i am looking is
>> it should be good for my carrier and for my office too.
>> secure, stable, web base console etc.
>

>> btw, i have heard that there is a mailserver called zimbra. but i
>> think debian is not natively supporting it.
>

> Hi,
>
> you will need at least two things, an SMTP Server (like postfix) and an
> IMAP/POP3 Server (like dovecot).
>
> Over the years I have used many different programs for that, starting with
> Exim. But now I always use Postfix and Dovecot together with LDAP, Amavis
> (Spamassassin, ClamAV) and Postgrey.
>
> Dovecot is quite easy to set up. Postfix might be a bit trickier, but it is
> very well documented (and the mailing list is very responsive).
>
> Anyway, regardless which server you will choose, please do a lot of research
> before you launch the server for public use. It is rather easy to set up an
> open relay anybody could use for sending SPAM. Your IP will be show up on
> Blacklists and you will have a lot of trouble removing them from those
> lists.
>
> Also it is important not to use a dailup IP, instead you will need a proper
> static IP with correct rDNS settings. If you don't have that in your office
> you will have to use a relay server to send mails (external).

Thanks for letting me know these matters but i am not using it
publicly i will be downloading my emails from my hosted mail server.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:52:25 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> need suggestions, i know there are few populer mail servers like
>> postfix, sandmail etc out there.
>>
>> here is some details about my office.
>>
>> 1. 20 users.
>> 2. pop from main server
>> 3. send via SMTP
>> 4. local mail distribution IMAP
>>
>> i am not looking in to easy or hard mail server. what i am looking is it
>> should be good for my carrier and for my office too. secure, stable,
>> web base console etc.
>>
>> btw, i have heard that there is a mailserver called zimbra. but i think
>> debian is not natively supporting it.
>
> Ugh... I would avoid Zimbra as much as I can (nothing against it, is just
> I don't like all-in-one solutions for mail services I prefer small pieces
> of software performing a brilliantly work) :-)
>
>> any help would be appreciable.
>
> My ingredients for the recipe:
>
> - Fetchmail (or getmail) for polling e-mails form your remote provider
> - Postfix (for local/remote lmtp/smtp services)
> - Cyrus (for local/remote pop/imap services)
> - Spamassassin (anti-spam)
> - ClamAV (antivirus if using windows stations)
> - Amavisd-new (I call it "the glue" because I use it to join all the
> pieces)
>
> I have no webmail (forbidden), e-mail users are stored in a separate
> database (sasl2db) and are not system users which means no login shell.

how you perform basic tasks like mail-ques checking, logs, mail box
create, delete, mail restriction .etc.....?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Denis Witt