Old 01-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Jordan Erickson

Default Mail Server

Nice!! Thanks for that.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 AM
"Nikolai K. Bochev"

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose Zarafa, over lets say Zimbra ?
I am currently deploying zimbra on all my installs/clients, but i am always looking for new solutions.

> [...]

>> mutt

>> libpq5

>> ssl-cert

>> mailx

>> bsd-mailx

>> dovecot-pop3d

>> mysql-common

>> Not a bad start in two minutes flat.

>> And why shouldn't a new user install webmin? They get a tool to explore

>> configuration and a path towards intimacy and awareness that can lead to

>> understanding. Of course, intellectual investment is required.

>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Emil Tullstedt <sakjur@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Best Andrew!

>>> With Server 2003, do you mean Windows Server 2003 or a server from 2003?

>>> Ubuntu Server is not an add-on for Windows Server 2003, but an external

>>> server operative system.

>>> If you wants to setup a mailserver with Ubuntu, please look at this page

>>> sakjur

Old 01-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Eric

Well there were a number of considerations that I took into account, on the decsion, and yup Zimbra was in the top 3. Here are some of my reasons why I went with Zarafa.
1. Let's face it we are admins and can get by using any mail client to get the job done. But on the other hand users in general can't / won't even try. And people like Outlook. (blah I know) so far Zarafa is the only fully compliant MAPI server, and from my tests so far, outlook and zarafa play very well with each other!
2. The CEO likes his blackberry and Zarafa works with BES server, not to mention Z_push to push to my iPhone and other mobile phones.
3. One word calandars! With this setup unlike Zimbra, users don't have to use a web interface, nor learn something new, it just works like before, and sharing works great!
4. The pay for version also comes with great migration tools. So I can import PST files into zarafa so users don't loose a thing. Not to mention Active Directory authentication is simple to setup.
So as you can see most of my reasoning is because of what the users need, and them not needing to learn anything new. Plus administration of zarafa is a bit simpler than zimbra.
Cheers,Eric
Sent from my iPhone
> [...]

>> mutt

>> libpq5

>> ssl-cert

>> mailx

>> bsd-mailx

>> dovecot-pop3d

>> mysql-common

>> Not a bad start in two minutes flat.

>> And why shouldn't a new user install webmin? They get a tool to explore

>> configuration and a path towards intimacy and awareness that can lead to

>> understanding. Of course, intellectual investment is required.

>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Emil Tullstedt <sakjur@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Best Andrew!

>>> With Server 2003, do you mean Windows Server 2003 or a server from 2003?

>>> Ubuntu Server is not an add-on for Windows Server 2003, but an external

>>> server operative system.

>>> If you wants to setup a mailserver with Ubuntu, please look at this page

>>> sakjur

Old 02-01-2010, 03:52 PM
"Michael Zoet"

> filtering proxy, but maybe this person
> is trying to migrate away from exchange...

As far as I have understand from his post a week or two ago, he tries to
migrate from Exchange to Ubuntu.

> If you're making a relay/filtering proxy, then I'd say postfix +
> amavisd-new +clamd + spamassassin...
> I wish I had an easier to configure option, but it seems the only
> other major alternative is mailscanner,
> which seems just as difficult to configure as amavis.

You can setup postfix + spamassassin + clamd WITHOUT amavisd. That makes
the life a lot more easier. In this way you must only configure
SpamAssassin and ClamAV by hand, but that is not as difficult as using
Amavis. Amavis is a painful package that no one really needs. (IMHO)

By the way the questions have been asked 1 or 2 weeks before on a
different thread on this list. I'm not so sure if the original post was
meant serious. If they are meant serious: as someone mentioned in the
Regardless if you are using a GUI or something else for configuration.
Even the "buy & click" Exchange server will not work without planning the
installation. And thinking there is an easy way to exchange an Exchange
server with Ubuntu, is wrong. Learning by reading and doing is the only
way things will work.

Just my 2 cent.

Michael

Old 02-01-2010, 05:59 PM
"Nikolai K. Bochev"

The only time i thought amavis is hard to install/configure was the first time i had to deal with the app.
Reading through the docs is not a bad idea.

postfix + spamassassin + clamd won't be easier to setup nor it will offer the things that amavis can. Well unless you can't care less about DKIM or having several scanners etc.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Ante Karamatić

On 01.02.2010 17:52, Michael Zoet wrote:

> You can setup postfix + spamassassin + clamd WITHOUT amavisd. That makes
> the life a lot more easier. In this way you must only configure
> SpamAssassin and ClamAV by hand, but that is not as difficult as using
> Amavis. Amavis is a painful package that no one really needs. (IMHO)

I wouldn't agree. ClamAV can tell you that e-mail contains virus (don't
forget, clamav can not clean viruses). Spamassassin can tell you that
email is SPAM, but amavis can do something according to those findings,
it can also block email before content inspection (clamav,
spamassassin), it can stack multiple anti virus software, it has
quarantine (on disk or in database), it can inspect headers and act upon
bad headers. It can also have per-user variables.

Sure, you could do all that with other tools, but amavis makes it much
easier

Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Mat

I deployed a mail server back in 2007 with postifx, spamassassin, clamd
and amavist running on Ubuntu and it has worked very well for me. This
is actually quite surprising because I really didn't know very much
about what I was doing back then.

For various reasons I'm looking to upgrade/migrate to different server
with new software and I thought I would just stick with what has worked
for me in the past, until I ran accross www.mailscanner.info. This looks
to use the software we are talking about but in a nice package that
removes alot of the setup configuration.

Am I missing something or is the "server-lucid-more-mail-integration"
blueprint trying to duplicate this?

I see the package is in the universe repos. Has anyone worked with
MailScanner on Ubuntu? What are your thoughts on integration in a Ubuntu
server versus the traditional setup?

matoc

Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Scott Kitterman

"Mat" <mat@olitec.ca> wrote:

>I deployed a mail server back in 2007 with postifx, spamassassin, clamd
>and amavist running on Ubuntu and it has worked very well for me. This
>is actually quite surprising because I really didn't know very much
>about what I was doing back then.
>
>For various reasons I'm looking to upgrade/migrate to different server
>with new software and I thought I would just stick with what has worked
>for me in the past, until I ran accross www.mailscanner.info. This looks
>to use the software we are talking about but in a nice package that
>removes alot of the setup configuration.
>
>Am I missing something or is the "server-lucid-more-mail-integration"
>blueprint trying to duplicate this?
>
>I see the package is in the universe repos. Has anyone worked with
>MailScanner on Ubuntu? What are your thoughts on integration in a Ubuntu
>server versus the traditional setup?

Mailscanner and Postdoc are very much NOT recommended together. The way mailscanner integrates with postfix is by direct manipulation of internal postfix queue files. Since postfix treats these as internal, their format is not guaranteed and if it changes, mail loss results. The package set you are already using is what both Postdoc upstream and the Ubuntu Server Team recommend and support.

Scott K--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 AM
Scott Kitterman

"Scott Kitterman" <scott@kitterman.com> wrote:

>"Mat" <mat@olitec.ca> wrote:
>
>>I deployed a mail server back in 2007 with postifx, spamassassin, clamd
>>and amavist running on Ubuntu and it has worked very well for me. This
>>is actually quite surprising because I really didn't know very much
>>about what I was doing back then.
>>
>>For various reasons I'm looking to upgrade/migrate to different server
>>with new software and I thought I would just stick with what has worked
>>for me in the past, until I ran accross www.mailscanner.info. This looks
>>to use the software we are talking about but in a nice package that
>>removes alot of the setup configuration.
>>
>>Am I missing something or is the "server-lucid-more-mail-integration"
>>blueprint trying to duplicate this?
>>
>>I see the package is in the universe repos. Has anyone worked with
>>MailScanner on Ubuntu? What are your thoughts on integration in a Ubuntu
>>server versus the traditional setup?
>
>Mailscanner and Postdoc are very much NOT recommended together. The way mailscanner integrates with postfix is by direct manipulation of internal postfix queue files. Since postfix treats these as internal, their format is not guaranteed and if it changes, mail loss results. The package set you are already using is what both Postdoc upstream and the Ubuntu Server Team recommend and support.
>
>Scott K--

Postdoc/Postfix in each case.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Ante Karamatić

On 03.02.2010 01:32, Mat wrote:

> For various reasons I'm looking to upgrade/migrate to different server
> with new software and I thought I would just stick with what has worked
> for me in the past, until I ran accross www.mailscanner.info. This looks
> to use the software we are talking about but in a nice package that
> removes alot of the setup configuration.

It does what amavisd-new does. And it doesn't autoconfigure everything
once you install it. The idea of our 'mail stack' is to provide sane
defaults out of the box. You would just pick a task during installation
(mail stack with spam and anti virus filtering), answer couple of
questions and be done with it.

Our mail stack doesn't just install packages, it will install knowledge
of sysadmins that run multiple mail servers.