FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Linux

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
"Michael Zoet"
 
Default Mail Server

> Guides != Exact instructions.
>
> The point I made was that there were ERRORS (not infrastructural
> differences) that made the guide bad.

OK. But maybe there are too much docs about the topic available? I read
really good ones.

>
> I refuse to believe that setting up guides for a generalized situation
> isn't
> feasible or reasonable. There just aren't that many wild cards to throw
> into
> the mix of your average company's IT infrastructure.

It is already there! You just have to install the packages you need. In
Ubuntu these packages have reasonable defaults, that you can use to change
your config. Also some one posted the link to the Ubuntu server guide!
These are easily adoptable to your needs. But for complex scenarios you
can not distribute a general configuration.

>
> I'm sure you could write tons of books about a lot of topics in my
> suggestion, but really that makes no sense. Pick some general settings and
> give some guidance on how to tweak and/or a suggested reading material and
> be done with it.

See above :-).

>
> If this is impossible, someone will have to work really hard to explain to
> me how you can get packaged solutions like Zimbra to work well.
>

I never installed Zimbra so I do not know how good (or bad) this is. For
what I know and experienced is that all these "easy installed" programs
have draw backs when live goes on and things are getting more complex in
the company.


Michael


--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 01-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Jorge Armando Medina
 
Default Mail Server

Andrew Butcher wrote:
> Greeting .I need some help setting up a Mail Server using ubuntu
>
>
>
For a simple and almost automated I recommend to install the
postfix-dovecot metapackage, this package will setup Postfix for
SMTP(s)+Dovecot's LDA, Dovecot for IMAP(s), POP3(s) and sieve, with this
you will have authenticated and secure mail services (thanks ivoks ).

I recommend install and configure postfix with dovecot, understand how
the system works and then research about amavisd-new with clamav and
spamassassin, it is easier to integrate with postfix-dovecot.

Best regards.


--
Jorge Armando Medina
Computación Gráfica de México
Web: http://www.e-compugraf.com
Tel: 55 51 40 72, Ext: 124
Email: jmedina@e-compugraf.com
GPG Key: 1024D/28E40632 2007-07-26
GPG Fingerprint: 59E2 0C7C F128 B550 B3A6 D3AF C574 8422 28E4 0632


--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 01-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Jim Tarvid
 
Default Mail Server

Why not tasksel? If hostname is set properly, that works without modification.

Mailman is the traditional choice for mailing lists. It is clumsy or at least I am when administering mailman but it does work.

The chain is desire->intimacy->awareness->understanding->wisdom. Tutorials and books can help along the way but getting your hands dirty is necessary. It takes time and intellectual investment.


2010/1/20 Jorge Armando Medina <jmedina@e-compugraf.com>

Andrew Butcher wrote:

> Greeting .I need some help setting up a Mail Server using ubuntu

>

>

>

For a simple and almost automated I recommend to install *the

postfix-dovecot metapackage, this package will setup Postfix for

SMTP(s)+Dovecot's LDA, Dovecot for IMAP(s), POP3(s) and sieve, with this

you will have authenticated and secure mail services (thanks ivoks ).



I recommend install and configure postfix with dovecot, understand how

the system works and then research about amavisd-new with clamav and

spamassassin, it is easier to integrate with postfix-dovecot.



Best regards.





--

Jorge Armando Medina

Computación Gráfica de México

Web: http://www.e-compugraf.com

Tel: 55 51 40 72, Ext: 124

Email: jmedina@e-compugraf.com

GPG Key: 1024D/28E40632 2007-07-26

GPG Fingerprint: 59E2 0C7C F128 B550 B3A6 *D3AF C574 8422 28E4 0632





--

ubuntu-server mailing list

ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam



--
Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA


--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 01-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Andrew Butcher
 
Default Mail Server

Hi Guys


I need some help setting up mail server using ubuntu software on server 2003


--
Andrew Butcher
+260979783583/+260955202198

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Emil Tullstedt
 
Default Mail Server

Best Andrew!
With Server 2003, do you mean Windows Server 2003 or a server from 2003?Ubuntu Server is not an add-on for Windows Server 2003, but an external server operative system.

If you wants to setup a mailserver with Ubuntu, please look at this page first:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MailServer--
sakjur


Emil Tullstedt
~~~~~~~~~~




On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Andrew Butcher <andrew.butcher@zambia.co.zm> wrote:


Hi Guys





I need some help setting up mail server using ubuntu software on server 2003





--

Andrew Butcher

+260979783583/+260955202198



--

ubuntu-server mailing list

ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam



--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 01-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Jim Tarvid
 
Default Mail Server

I am curious. Why shouldn't a new debian/ubuntu not use tasksel mail-server?

tarvid@venus:~$ tasksel --task-packages mail-server
dovecot-imapd
procmail
dovecot-common
postfix
libpth20
libgpgme11

libmysqlclient16
mutt
libpq5
ssl-cert
mailx
bsd-mailx
dovecot-pop3d
mysql-common

Not a bad start in two minutes flat.

And why shouldn't a new user install webmin? They get a tool to explore configuration and a path towards intimacy and awareness that can lead to understanding. Of course, intellectual investment is required.




On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Emil Tullstedt <sakjur@gmail.com> wrote:

Best Andrew!
With Server 2003, do you mean Windows Server 2003 or a server from 2003?Ubuntu Server is not an add-on for Windows Server 2003, but an external server operative system.


If you wants to setup a mailserver with Ubuntu, please look at this page first:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MailServer
--
sakjur


Emil Tullstedt
~~~~~~~~~~




On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Andrew Butcher <andrew.butcher@zambia.co.zm> wrote:



Hi Guys





I need some help setting up mail server using ubuntu software on server 2003





--

Andrew Butcher

+260979783583/+260955202198



--

ubuntu-server mailing list

ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam




--

ubuntu-server mailing list

ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam


--
Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA


--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Eric Peters
 
Default Mail Server

In my humble opinion webmin shouldn't be used in a production environment (or any environment for that matter). Remember a web-server running Webmin must
be run 'setuid root', an improperly configured Webmin can pose a huge security
threat to the system running it. Having such a powerful tool in the hands of a ignorant new user that is publicly accessible is just asking for trouble. If you can't administrate your server via CLI then you'd be better off running a windows server. Just my 2 cents on the webmin thing.


Also there are other questions that need to be asked before you just sudo apt-get install MTA, IMAP, ANTI-SPAM, ANTI-VIRUS etc...

i.e. is this mail server going to just be an MTA, is it going to provide a mail store for users, is it going to provide access to the mail store via IMAP, POP, or some other protocol, is it going to have any enhanced security for relays, spam, viruses etc... or do you just need the server to send system email. This is why I feel why you shouldn't just tasksel mail server, your going to have to do some research and planing before deploying a mail server.


Cheers,
Eric* *

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Jim Tarvid <tarvid@ls.net> wrote:

I am curious. Why shouldn't a new debian/ubuntu not use tasksel mail-server?

tarvid@venus:~$ tasksel --task-packages mail-server
dovecot-imapd
procmail
dovecot-common
postfix
libpth20
libgpgme11


libmysqlclient16
mutt
libpq5
ssl-cert
mailx
bsd-mailx
dovecot-pop3d
mysql-common

Not a bad start in two minutes flat.

And why shouldn't a new user install webmin? They get a tool to explore configuration and a path towards intimacy and awareness that can lead to understanding. Of course, intellectual investment is required.





On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Emil Tullstedt <sakjur@gmail.com> wrote:


Best Andrew!
With Server 2003, do you mean Windows Server 2003 or a server from 2003?Ubuntu Server is not an add-on for Windows Server 2003, but an external server operative system.



If you wants to setup a mailserver with Ubuntu, please look at this page first:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MailServer

--
sakjur


Emil Tullstedt
~~~~~~~~~~




On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Andrew Butcher <andrew.butcher@zambia.co.zm> wrote:




Hi Guys





I need some help setting up mail server using ubuntu software on server 2003





--

Andrew Butcher

+260979783583/+260955202198



--

ubuntu-server mailing list

ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam




--

ubuntu-server mailing list

ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam


--
Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA




--

ubuntu-server mailing list

ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam


--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Douglas Stanley
 
Default Mail Server

Well, just my 2 cents, realistically, what's more of a security risk,
running webmin, or running windows server?
I'd actually put them about neck and neck. You basically asking to get
hacked either way, unless you really
lock down the webmin, but if you know enough to do that, then you
probably aren't running webmin.

As for mail, yeah what all would this mail server be doing? If you're
talking about using it in conjunction
with win 2k3 server, most people who do that use ubuntu/linux as the
filtering proxy, but maybe this person
is trying to migrate away from exchange...

If you're making a relay/filtering proxy, then I'd say postfix +
amavisd-new +clamd + spamassassin...
I wish I had an easier to configure option, but it seems the only
other major alternative is mailscanner,
which seems just as difficult to configure as amavis.

As for mail storage, seems like dovecot is the standard choice,
however, I've long been a huge fan of
dbmail. It's probably the easiest mail store to set up and maintain.
Plus it's very fast, and pretty easy
to scale (just need to know how to scale a db server).

Anyway, just my 2 cents Everyone keeps chipping in their 2 cents,
and we'll soon have enough to buy
a pack of gum!

Doug

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Eric Peters <eric@linuxsystems.net> wrote:
> In my humble opinion webmin shouldn't be used in a production environment
> (or any environment for that matter). Remember a web-server running Webmin
> must be run 'setuid root', an improperly configured Webmin can pose a huge
> security threat to the system running it. Having such a powerful tool in the
> hands of a ignorant new user that is publicly accessible is just asking for
> trouble. If you can't administrate your server via CLI then you'd be better
> off running a windows server. Just my 2 cents on the webmin thing.
>
> Also there are other questions that need to be asked before you just sudo
> apt-get install MTA, IMAP, ANTI-SPAM, ANTI-VIRUS etc...
>
> i.e. is this mail server going to just be an MTA, is it going to provide a
> mail store for users, is it going to provide access to the mail store via
> IMAP, POP, or some other protocol, is it going to have any enhanced security
> for relays, spam, viruses etc... or do you just need the server to send
> system email. This is why I feel why you shouldn't just tasksel mail server,
> your going to have to do some research and planing before deploying a mail
> server.
>
> Cheers,
> Eric
>
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Jim Tarvid <tarvid@ls.net> wrote:
>>
>> I am curious. Why shouldn't a new debian/ubuntu not use tasksel
>> mail-server?
>>
>> tarvid@venus:~$ tasksel --task-packages mail-server
>> dovecot-imapd
>> procmail
>> dovecot-common
>> postfix
>> libpth20
>> libgpgme11
>> libmysqlclient16
>> mutt
>> libpq5
>> ssl-cert
>> mailx
>> bsd-mailx
>> dovecot-pop3d
>> mysql-common
>>
>> Not a bad start in two minutes flat.
>>
>> And why shouldn't a new user install webmin? They get a tool to explore
>> configuration and a path towards intimacy and awareness that can lead to
>> understanding. Of course, intellectual investment is required.
>>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Emil Tullstedt <sakjur@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Best Andrew!
>>> With Server 2003, do you mean Windows Server 2003 or a server from 2003?
>>> Ubuntu Server is not an add-on for Windows Server 2003, but an external
>>> server operative system.
>>> If you wants to setup a mailserver with Ubuntu, please look at this page
>>> first:
>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MailServer
>>> --
>>> sakjur
>>> Emil Tullstedt
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Andrew Butcher
>>> <andrew.butcher@zambia.co.zm> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi Guys
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I need some help setting up mail server using ubuntu software on server
>>>> 2003
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Andrew Butcher
>>>> +260979783583/+260955202198
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> ubuntu-server mailing list
>>>> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
>>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
>>>> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> ubuntu-server mailing list
>>> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
>>> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA
>>
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-server mailing list
>> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
>> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-server mailing list
> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
>



--
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 01-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Eric Peters
 
Default Mail Server

Whooo hoooo GUM!

Hey Doug,

Anyway I'm in the process of migrating from Exchange as we speak, the setup I'm using is ASSP > Postfix > Zarafa
And I agree about mailscanner, and amavis, spamassassin = pain in the arse That's why I like ASSP all of those rolled

into one nice SMTP transparent proxy you should check it out.

Cheers,
Eric


On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Douglas Stanley <douglas.m.stanley@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, just my 2 cents, realistically, what's more of a security risk,

running webmin, or running windows server?

I'd actually put them about neck and neck. You basically asking to get

hacked either way, unless you really

lock down the webmin, but if you know enough to do that, then you

probably aren't running webmin.



As for mail, yeah what all would this mail server be doing? If you're

talking about using it in conjunction

with win 2k3 server, most people who do that use ubuntu/linux as the

filtering proxy, but maybe this person

is trying to migrate away from exchange...



If you're making a relay/filtering proxy, then I'd say postfix +

amavisd-new +clamd + spamassassin...

I wish I had an easier to configure option, but it seems the only

other major alternative is mailscanner,

which seems just as difficult to configure as amavis.



As for mail storage, seems like dovecot is the standard choice,

however, I've long been a huge fan of

dbmail. It's probably the easiest mail store to set up and maintain.

Plus it's very fast, and pretty easy

to scale (just need to know how to scale a db server).



Anyway, just my 2 cents Everyone keeps chipping in their 2 cents,

and we'll soon have enough to buy

a pack of gum!



Doug



On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Eric Peters <eric@linuxsystems.net> wrote:

> In my humble opinion webmin shouldn't be used in a production environment

> (or any environment for that matter). Remember a web-server running Webmin

> must be run 'setuid root', an improperly configured Webmin can pose a huge

> security threat to the system running it. Having such a powerful tool in the

> hands of a ignorant new user that is publicly accessible is just asking for

> trouble. If you can't administrate your server via CLI then you'd be better

> off running a windows server. Just my 2 cents on the webmin thing.

>

> Also there are other questions that need to be asked before you just sudo

> apt-get install MTA, IMAP, ANTI-SPAM, ANTI-VIRUS etc...

>

> i.e. is this mail server going to just be an MTA, is it going to provide a

> mail store for users, is it going to provide access to the mail store via

> IMAP, POP, or some other protocol, is it going to have any enhanced security

> for relays, spam, viruses etc... or do you just need the server to send

> system email. This is why I feel why you shouldn't just tasksel mail server,

> your going to have to do some research and planing before deploying a mail

> server.

>

> Cheers,

> Eric

>

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:15 AM, Jim Tarvid <tarvid@ls.net> wrote:

>>

>> I am curious. Why shouldn't a new debian/ubuntu not use tasksel

>> mail-server?

>>

>> tarvid@venus:~$ tasksel --task-packages mail-server

>> dovecot-imapd

>> procmail

>> dovecot-common

>> postfix

>> libpth20

>> libgpgme11

>> libmysqlclient16

>> mutt

>> libpq5

>> ssl-cert

>> mailx

>> bsd-mailx

>> dovecot-pop3d

>> mysql-common

>>

>> Not a bad start in two minutes flat.

>>

>> And why shouldn't a new user install webmin? They get a tool to explore

>> configuration and a path towards intimacy and awareness that can lead to

>> understanding. Of course, intellectual investment is required.

>>

>>

>>

>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Emil Tullstedt <sakjur@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>

>>> Best Andrew!

>>> With Server 2003, do you mean Windows Server 2003 or a server from 2003?

>>> Ubuntu Server is not an add-on for Windows Server 2003, but an external

>>> server operative system.

>>> If you wants to setup a mailserver with Ubuntu, please look at this page

>>> first:

>>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MailServer

>>> --

>>> sakjur

>>> Emil Tullstedt

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Andrew Butcher

>>> <andrew.butcher@zambia.co.zm> wrote:

>>>>

>>>> Hi Guys

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> I need some help setting up mail server using ubuntu software on server

>>>> 2003

>>>>

>>>>

>>>> --

>>>> Andrew Butcher

>>>> +260979783583/+260955202198

>>>>

>>>> --

>>>> ubuntu-server mailing list

>>>> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

>>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

>>>> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

>>>

>>>

>>> --

>>> ubuntu-server mailing list

>>> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

>>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

>>> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

>>

>>

>>

>> --

>> Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA

>>

>>

>> --

>> ubuntu-server mailing list

>> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

>> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

>

>

> --

> ubuntu-server mailing list

> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

>







--

Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html



--

ubuntu-server mailing list

ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam



--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Ante Karamatić
 
Default Mail Server

On 29.01.2010 19:18, Eric Peters wrote:

> Anyway I'm in the process of migrating from Exchange as we speak, the
> setup I'm using is ASSP > Postfix > Zarafa
> And I agree about mailscanner, and amavis, spamassassin = pain in the
> arse That's why I like ASSP all of those rolled
> into one nice SMTP transparent proxy you should check it out.

https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-lucid-more-mail-integration

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:20 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org