Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Andrew Butcher

Default Mail Server

Greeting .I need some help setting up a Mail Server using ubuntu

--
Andrew Butcher
+260979783583/+260955202198

Old 01-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Carsten Aulbert

Hi

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 15:15:41 Andrew Butcher wrote:
> Greeting .I need some help setting up a Mail Server using ubuntu

It would be nice if you could elaborate on what would be the requirements.

How many users
How many mails
just a MTA or also serving email to users via imap
[...]

Cheers

Carsten

Old 01-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Aaron Kincer

I would also like a really good solid guide on this. I found one out there that's halfway decent, but it has errors in it that if you follow it exactly, won't work.

My basic idea of what should be in it:

POP, IMAP
Spam/AV
Webmail (with users able to reset their own passwords)
User/Distribution list creation
Security Guidance
Backups/DR

If the setup is vastly different depending on the number of users, then I would suggest creating guides for user levels. Have one for less than 100 users, 101 - 500, etc.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Andrew Butcher

For about 25 users and 25 mail boxes.
and I will start with the internal mailing system.I want to use it
improve communication within the organisation .However my server is
using windows server 2003 for now.Is it possible to combine the two???

Old 01-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Carsten Aulbert

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 15:35:37 Aaron Kincer wrote:
> I would also like a really good solid guide on this. I found one out there
> that's halfway decent, but it has errors in it that if you follow it
> exactly, won't work.

a very good one (Debian based) setup description is this one:

http://workaround.org/ispmail

It does not cover everything, but many items.

HTH

Carsten

Old 01-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Etienne Goyer

Andrew Butcher wrote:
> Greeting .I need some help setting up a Mail Server using ubuntu

You should have provided more information about what you are trying to
achieve, what you have done so far, etc.

Nonetheless, it is all explained at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/email-services.html

Have fun!

--
Etienne Goyer
Technical Account Manager - Canonical Ltd

Old 01-20-2010, 02:07 PM
"Michael Zoet"

> I would also like a really good solid guide on this. I found one out there
> that's halfway decent, but it has errors in it that if you follow it
> exactly, won't work.

You can never follow guides 100%! In your own network things are barely
the same as the authors network.

I think it is better to buy some books about the topic!

By the way there are a lot of good guides for setting up mail servers
already. I read and used them a lot. Most of them cover not all aspects
but that is impossible! E-mail is in our days the most abused system on
the Internet! And if you want to have your own mail server, reading and
learning a lot about e-mail, is the only way to get there. Otherwise you
will get into trouble, if your system is in production use.

> My basic idea of what should be in it:
>
> POP, IMAP
> Spam/AV
> Webmail (with users able to reset their own passwords)
> User/Distribution list creation
> Security Guidance
> Backups/DR

I'm not sure if you really mean this!? Even about Spam you can write tons
of books...

> If the setup is vastly different depending on the number of users, then I
> would suggest creating guides for user levels. Have one for less than 100
> users, 101 - 500, etc.

The user number is not that much important for a working setup. You can
have a really complex setup with only 5 users or relatively easy setup
with 1000 or more users. And everything between. For complex setups you
should have aleady the needed knowledge and no need for documentation at
all. Just the documentation for reference.

If you have a user number of 20 or more users, you should be able to make
your own decisions. It is really a bad idea to setup a reliable mail
server for 20 or more users, when you follow some guide and have no
knowledge about it.

Michael

Old 01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Valerio Felici

Il 20/01/2010 16:07, Michael Zoet ha scritto:

>> I would also like a really good solid guide on this. I found one out there
>> that's halfway decent, but it has errors in it that if you follow it
>> exactly, won't work.
>
> You can never follow guides 100%! In your own network things are barely
> the same as the authors network.
>
> I think it is better to buy some books about the topic!
>
> By the way there are a lot of good guides for setting up mail servers
> already. I read and used them a lot. Most of them cover not all aspects
> but that is impossible! E-mail is in our days the most abused system on
> the Internet! And if you want to have your own mail server, reading and
> learning a lot about e-mail, is the only way to get there. Otherwise you
> will get into trouble, if your system is in production use.
>

>> My basic idea of what should be in it:
>>
>> POP, IMAP
>> Spam/AV
>> Webmail (with users able to reset their own passwords)
>> User/Distribution list creation
>> Security Guidance
>> Backups/DR
>
> I'm not sure if you really mean this!? Even about Spam you can write tons
> of books...
>

>> If the setup is vastly different depending on the number of users, then I
>> would suggest creating guides for user levels. Have one for less than 100
>> users, 101 - 500, etc.
>>

> The user number is not that much important for a working setup. You can
> have a really complex setup with only 5 users or relatively easy setup
> with 1000 or more users. And everything between. For complex setups you
> should have aleady the needed knowledge and no need for documentation at
> all. Just the documentation for reference.
>
> If you have a user number of 20 or more users, you should be able to make
> your own decisions. It is really a bad idea to setup a reliable mail
> server for 20 or more users, when you follow some guide and have no
> knowledge about it.

I agree with you Michael almost at 100% :-)

--
A presto
-Valerio-

Old 01-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Aaron Kincer

Guides != Exact instructions.

The point I made was that there were ERRORS (not infrastructural differences) that made the guide bad.

I refuse to believe that setting up guides for a generalized situation isn't feasible or reasonable. There just aren't that many wild cards to throw into the mix of your average company's IT infrastructure.

I'm sure you could write tons of books about a lot of topics in my suggestion, but really that makes no sense. Pick some general settings and give some guidance on how to tweak and/or a suggested reading material and be done with it.

If this is impossible, someone will have to work really hard to explain to me how you can get packaged solutions like Zimbra to work well.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:37 PM
"Michael Zoet"

> For about 25 users and 25 mail boxes.
> and I will start with the internal mailing system.I want to use it
> improve communication within the organisation .However my server is
> using windows server 2003 for now.Is it possible to combine the two???

It depends on the configuration you want. I never needed to integrate a
windows 2003 server into my Linux/Unix networks. But it is possible.

Perhaps this document will help you:

http://www.ubuntu.com/system/files/AD_whitepaper_20090807.pdf

I think the most important thing is to plan your installation.

Buy some hardware where you can install a ubuntu mail server. If you have
some knowledge about virtualisation you can virtualize your mail server.
It is easier to copy this server to a different hardware afterwards.

Then you have to decide which mail software. (I would recommend postfix
and dovecot. Others will recommend different software.) Setting these up
is as simple as installing all needed packages and answering all the
questions at the installation.

Then you should play around with one or two Unix users on the server and
see whats happening and so on. Regardless which mail software you use, you
have to configure them according to your needs.

Then you have to decide how your user management on the Ubuntu server is
organized. The easiest would be having Unix accounts on the Ubuntu server
and Windows (Active Directory?) accounts on the Windows server.
Disadvantage: you have to create and manage the User on two servers.
Another way would be to use directly the accounts from your Windows
server. But then you need some knowledge about Active Directory and LDAP.
Or read the PDF above.

Then you have to test and test and test! :-)

And then you have to deploy it in your company.

Hope this helps,

Michael