Old 07-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Jochen Spieker

Default mail server

Muhammad Yousuf Khan:

> btw i have a question in my mind . postfix is mail server. but the
> question raising in my mind if postfix is the complete server then why
> we have to add several other tools like mentioned above
> (dovecot,spamassassin etc) ?

When Unix/Linux people talk about mail servers, they usually mean MTAs
(mail transport agents). That's the software that talks SMTP and moves
mail between systems, e.g. from your mail host to the mail server of
your recipient and vice versa. Postfix is a quite popular MTA, even
though Debian defaults to Exim.

Dovecot is an IMAP and POP3 server. Its purpose is to make mail
accessible to your users in case they use a mail user agent (Outlook,
Thunderbird/Iceweasel, mutt etc.).

Roundcube does the same, but by using a web interface instead of using
IMAP/POP. You can always offer both because Roundcube needs an IMAP
server in the background anyway.

Spamassassin is a mail filtering tool that your MTA can use in order to
decide to reject or silently delete unwanted mail. There are other
programs with a similar functionality.

The Unix philosophy is still "one job, one tool". And for each job you
can pick the tool most suitable to you from a variety of alternatives.

The downside is that you have to learn all those tools and how to plug
them together. The upside is that you learn all those tools. That
helps to diagnose problems and solve specific requirements in your
environment.

The all-in-one approach is probably ok for closed systems, maybe without
a dedicated administrator. In case of Zimbra you get additional
groupware functionality , like a calendar service. For external mail
routing, personally I would always pick one of the standard MTAs. For
office environments, people mix both approaches by using a standard MTA
for external communication and use some kind of groupware internally.

J.
--
I lust after strangers but only date people from the office.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Brad Alexander

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 3:53 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:

> -postfidx
> -dovecot
> -postfixadmin (web interface)
> -roundcube
> -spamassassin
> -clamv
>
> btw i have a question in my mind . postfix is mail server. but the
> question raising in my mind if postfix is the complete server then why
> we have to add several other tools like mentioned above
> (dovecot,spamassassin etc) ?

Postfix (and sendmail and it's ilk) are actually known as Mail
Tranport Agents (MTAs). They are responsible for getting the mail from
point A to point B. The other pieces are responsible for routing the
mail locally (the mail user agent -- MUA), classifying and eliminating
SPAM, etc. Think of the MTA as the airport. The MTA's responsibility
is only to get you from one airport to the other, you (or the MUA) are
responsible for getting from home (composing the message) to the
originating airport, and from the destination airport to your final
destination.

Make more sense?
--b

Old 07-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

actually i have spent 3 years working with Mailer daemon v7.0 so when
ever some one say a name "mail server" unintentionally mailer daemon
comes in my mind. this is my first time that i am implementing MTA on
linux.since i have just started to shift from Microsoft to Linux.
there is lot to learn.

but your individual help i have learn alot.

Thanks,

Old 07-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Brad Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 3:53 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> -postfidx
>> -dovecot
>> -postfixadmin (web interface)
>> -roundcube
>> -spamassassin
>> -clamv
>>
>> btw i have a question in my mind . postfix is mail server. but the
>> question raising in my mind if postfix is the complete server then why
>> we have to add several other tools like mentioned above
>> (dovecot,spamassassin etc) ?
>
> Postfix (and sendmail and it's ilk) are actually known as Mail
> Tranport Agents (MTAs). They are responsible for getting the mail from
> point A to point B. The other pieces are responsible for routing the
> mail locally (the mail user agent -- MUA), classifying and eliminating
> SPAM, etc. Think of the MTA as the airport. The MTA's responsibility
> is only to get you from one airport to the other, you (or the MUA) are
> responsible for getting from home (composing the message) to the
> originating airport, and from the destination airport to your final
> destination.
>
> Make more sense?

thanks, good example. if i say ISPs which provide SMTP relay. are
using MTA where they dont want to store emails (unlike i have to do in
office) rather just relay all the messages to destination. Correct?

Old 07-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Brad Alexander

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp@gmail.com> wrote:

> thanks, good example. if i say ISPs which provide SMTP relay. are
> using MTA where they dont want to store emails (unlike i have to do in
> office) rather just relay all the messages to destination. Correct?

Generally correct, though it could be done a couple of ways. ISP
machines could have local messages that they have to process, e.g.
system messages such as cron output and the like, so they may still
have some manner of MUA...or they may route that type of message to a
different machine. This can be done using aliases, such as in
/etc/aliases.

--b

Old 07-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:01:09 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> actually i have spent 3 years working with Mailer daemon v7.0 so when
> ever some one say a name "mail server" unintentionally mailer daemon
> comes in my mind. this is my first time that i am implementing MTA on
> linux.since i have just started to shift from Microsoft to Linux. there
> is lot to learn.

I first switched -time ago- from MDaemon (v3.2) when I installed a Linux
system and had to select a good replacement for it.

Hint: write down in a paper what's your current mail system data flow
(user's mailboxes, incoming/outgoing messages, filter needings, anti-spam/
malware needings, local/remote connections...), what are your current
requirements and what are the tasks that MDaemon is doing right now. This
will help you to get the "big picture" for a better understanding.

Zimbra can be seen as a tool more in the line of what MDaemon is (an all
in one solution providing pop3/imap/smtp/webmail/AV/filtering/
multipop...) but that can be an advantage only for the first days when
you setup but as time passes, it will reveal that using separate tools
for each task has more benefits that relying in just one service for the
mail system.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 07-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Muhammad Yousuf Khan

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:01:09 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>
>> actually i have spent 3 years working with Mailer daemon v7.0 so when
>> ever some one say a name "mail server" unintentionally mailer daemon
>> comes in my mind. this is my first time that i am implementing MTA on
>> linux.since i have just started to shift from Microsoft to Linux. there
>> is lot to learn.
>
> I first switched -time ago- from MDaemon (v3.2) when I installed a Linux
> system and had to select a good replacement for it.
>
> Hint: write down in a paper what's your current mail system data flow
> (user's mailboxes, incoming/outgoing messages, filter needings, anti-spam/
> malware needings, local/remote connections...), what are your current
> requirements and what are the tasks that MDaemon is doing right now. This
> will help you to get the "big picture" for a better understanding.

sorry i think i explain a bit wrong. i was using Mdeamon in my last
company my current company is fetching emails from mail server from
our service provider.

since we fetch the email via pop and sent via smtp the problem is i
need to make backup of individual PST. therefore i presented the idea
to management for IMAP. so i think my basic need are. POP emails from
hosted server. IMAP for local users, ldap for AddressBook/contents
update. spam filter and antivirus scan. and obviously Web access for
clients. and i dont know if SQL database is better then local mail
folders. because mdeamon use to store data in a folder. but i think
SQL is much more better then that.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Clive Standbridge

> is there any good howto on Debian Squeeze on following tools
>
> -postfidx
> -dovecot
> -postfixadmin (web interface)
> -roundcube
> -spamassassin
> -clamv

Most of that list is covered by the tutorials at
http://workaround.org/ispmail/

I have used the tutorial for Debian Lenny and found it very helpful;
it both tells you what to do and explains things.

The tutorial has since been updated for Squeeze although I haven't
looked at that version.

--
Cheers,
Clive

Old 07-29-2012, 04:48 AM
Chris Bannister

[Please trim your posts.]

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 12:53:19PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> is there any good howto on Debian Squeeze on following tools

Google is your friend. It also corrects spelling mistakes.

> -postfidx

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 276,000 for +squeeze +postfidx +howto. (0.34 seconds)

> -dovecot

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 65,300 for +squeeze +dovecot +howto. (0.34 seconds)

> -postfixadmin (web interface)

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 36,000 for +squeeze +postfixadmin +howto. (0.41 seconds)

> -roundcube

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 27,200 for +squeeze +roundcube +howto. (0.31 seconds)

> -spamassassin

Web Results 1 - 1 of about 1 for +squeeze +spamassassin +how to. (0.16 seconds)
Showing results for +squeeze +spamassassin +how to. Search instead for +squeeze +spamassassin +howto

> -clamv

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 24,800,000 for +squeeze +clamv +howto. (0.41 seconds)
Did you mean: +squeeze +clamav +howto

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 07-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 00:52:48 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:01:09 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>
>>> actually i have spent 3 years working with Mailer daemon v7.0 so when
>>> ever some one say a name "mail server" unintentionally mailer daemon
>>> comes in my mind. this is my first time that i am implementing MTA on
>>> linux.since i have just started to shift from Microsoft to Linux.
>>> there is lot to learn.
>>
>> I first switched -time ago- from MDaemon (v3.2) when I installed a
>> Linux system and had to select a good replacement for it.
>>
>> Hint: write down in a paper what's your current mail system data flow
>> (user's mailboxes, incoming/outgoing messages, filter needings,
>> anti-spam/ malware needings, local/remote connections...), what are
>> your current requirements and what are the tasks that MDaemon is doing
>> right now. This will help you to get the "big picture" for a better
>> understanding.
>>
> sorry i think i explain a bit wrong. i was using Mdeamon in my last
> company my current company is fetching emails from mail server from our
> service provider.

Ah, okay :-)

> since we fetch the email via pop and sent via smtp the problem is i need
> to make backup of individual PST.

What? I don't get this... you mean you need to migrate the e-mails and
other stuff from Outlook clients to the new e-mailing service?

> therefore i presented the idea to management for IMAP.

Well, yes, IMAP is good for migrating messages but can be slow if there
are thousand messages to move or copy and/or if the IMAP server is
accessed over Internet (I mean, not "locally").

> so i think my basic need are. POP emails from hosted server.

If you mean to fecth POP e-mails from your server to place them in your
own server, Fetchmail or Getmail can do the jobs as I already told you.

Once the messages are in your server, they can be accessed locally via
POP, IMAP or directly put into the user's home.

> IMAP for local users,

Good.

> ldap for AddressBook/contents update.

OpenLDAP can hold this but it can take you some time to configure it. For
a bunch of users maybe you should reconsider it.

> spam filter and antivirus scan.

Antispam is necessary, the AV only when supporting windows clients.

> and obviously Web access for clients.

Then you have to add a web server and a webmail service :-)

> and i dont know if SQL database is better then local mail folders.
> because mdeamon use to store data in a folder. but i think SQL is much
> more better then that.

A SQL datadase for storing 20 users is a bit overwhelming, IMO. It will
require an extra component (MySQL, PostgresSQL or SQLite) and the benefit
of having a database for that small amount of users can be unnoticed.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón